crazy to dump IIC+ for Tremoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovebelly

Reaction score
I have just acquired a Tremoverb and love the Vintage gain as well as the Modern gain.

The vintage gain seems VERY close to my Mark IIC+.

Am I crazy to offload the IIC+ for something else... THD Flexi is calling my name and I might have a trade brewing?!?

thoughts? am I destined to regret this one?

groovebelly said:
I have just acquired a Tremoverb and love the Vintage gain as well as the Modern gain.

The vintage gain seems VERY close to my Mark IIC+.

Am I crazy to offload the IIC+ for something else... THD Flexi is calling my name and I might have a trade brewing?!?

thoughts? am I destined to regret this one?

This life is all about YOU with a decision like this one. If it were to effect family and friends come to me for advice.
As I see it, answer YOUR spirit guide :wink:

I NEVER let anyone influence my gut when it comes to my music. It doesn't matter what anyone says yadi yadi... it's still ALWAYS going to be about you and your gears harmony.

(that's not advice is it???) ha ha

Hmmm.....Well, I have a couple IIC+s, and I have a 98 Tremoverb. Both are loaded with NOS glass, old Sylvania 6L6s. I also found putting some RCA 12AX7As from the 60s all through the TOV preamp section and doing the same with one of my IIC+s renders them both AWESOME amps. But I wouldn't say they sound the same. You got me curious, and I'll play around with it some more...Care to share some settings?

remember way back when, when ty tabor was starting to get some recognition for his guitar tone, in the early works of King's X?

everybody wanted to know what his rig was, and he kept it hidden in a non descript box...

after all that time went by, he finally admitted that it was a solid state Gibson Lab series amp.

and a bunch of pre/post processing with eq's and whatnot.

if you have a tool (IIc+) that isn't giving you the sound in your head, you'd be crazy to hold onto it, just because a bunch of other people think you should.

same thing with guitars...
pedals....
speakers...

all that crap.

there is lots of hype surrounding gear in general, because everyone wants to believe that the cash THEY plunked down for whatever they have, was totally worth it..
and maybe it was, for them.

If you have played a THD flexi (i have, it's an awesome amp), and you like it better, then that's all you need to know, and you can take advantage of the limited availability of the IIc+, and the demand.

i'd never sell that amp, til you've demo'd everything you can possibly consider, and have made a decision that way.

gonzo said:
i'd never sell that amp, til you've demo'd everything you can possibly consider, and have made a decision that way.

I will take that one step further, by saying that you need to A/B all amps in question through the same speakers with the same guitar. Do this in a back-to-back fashion, rather than relying on your memory. I had a 2 channel Triple Rectifier that sounded very good in the Orange (vintage high-gain) channel. But the loaded C+ that I have would wipe the floor with it in terms of lead tone. Go with whatever inspires you to play the best. 8)

Only four amps ?

HeHe....... :mrgreen:

Seriously, I have amps that have as many channels as four amps. I never decide from memory and always look to
blend amps together for even more tone. After 27 years, I have only found two amps that really wiggle the weasel.
The IIC+, whether a 60W with no EQ or fully loaded is one of them. The other, I won't mention here. Very expensive and very
Bavarian. You only regret the ones you let get away.

ok, ok, ok...

I've now played both the IIC+ and the Tverb Vintage Gain over some backing tracks, and...

they ARE quite different.

IIC+: smoother, less bass, less edgy; I could easily get this to places the Vintage Gain wouldn't touch

Vintage Gain: edgier, way more bass, not as creamy smooth

Both had that elastic feel, but the IIC+ feels like it anticipates the notes and just wants to be played; the Rectifier responds immediately, plays well, just not the same

so, it's worth keeping them both... the Rectifier and the Mark are two quite different amps!

are you talking a straight trade? 'cause thats probably a bad idea

Latest posts

Back