Crackling on Mark V combo.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thegaindeli said:
It just doesn't get any better. :D

Than the PCB inside the Roadhouse model Cornford that Guthrie Govan plays?

http://www.cornfordamps.com/r30.htm

Gary and Guthrie will sound good through a Peavy Bandit with a blown speaker, they ARE that good. :shock:

thegaindeli said:
JOEY B. said:
thegaindeli said:
It just doesn't get any better. :D

Than the PCB inside the Roadhouse model Cornford that Guthrie Govan plays?

http://www.cornfordamps.com/r30.htm

Gary and Guthrie will sound good through a Peavy Bandit with a blown speaker, they ARE that good. :shock:
GG doesn't play the Roadhouse amp. He plays MK, Hellcat, and RK.
acc. to Ed Yoon,he favors the Roadhouse model at his weekly gig at the Bassment

kingdomheights777 said:
well i was fiddling with it last night and cleaned all contacts on the tubes and i put them all back in. While the amp was still turned upside down, i turned it on and no crackled. But when i turned it right side up again i got crackle .....so who i give up lol. next step is to swap pre amp tubes

Was the footswitch cable plugged in when the amp was upside down? I would disconnect the footswitch while trying to troubleshoot this problem. Does it make a difference if you switch from "Full Power" to "Variac Power"? The 10 watt no pop situation would steer me to the power tubes or the phase inverter preamp tube. Select the Effects Loop to hard bypass to isolate the V6 preamp tube and turn down the reverb on all channels to isolate V4 or V5 as the culprits. I really believe that if V1-V6 were faulty, you would hear the crackling in the 10 watt mode. Switch the amp to tube rectifier on channels 1 and 2 for the 45 watt mode to bring the 5U4GB into play for the 45 watt mode. The tube rectifier is used all the time in 10 watt settings of all channels, according to the manual. If this does not find the culprit, then you move to he power tubes.

JOEY B. said:
kingdomheights777 said:
well i was fiddling with it last night and cleaned all contacts on the tubes and i put them all back in. While the amp was still turned upside down, i turned it on and no crackled. But when i turned it right side up again i got crackle .....so who i give up lol. next step is to swap pre amp tubes

\. I really believe that if V1-V6 were faulty, you would hear the crackling in the 10 watt mode. \ .
ys, I had a faulty old preamp tube in v1/few other spots..heard it in all modes

i had some crackling when i powered it up the second time, after receiving it. this was on sat, i believe. i was alarmed and looked here.

you guys haven't really gotten anything resolved, but i though i'd read through anyway. after letting it sit in standby, i powered it back on to tap tubes and it was gone. i think the tubes just were too cold yet to run them. maybe you can try just letting it sit in standby an extra 30 sec-1 minute?

anyway, since then, i have had no crackling noises with this "method" of powering it up. go figure. :?

mejoshee said:
i had some crackling when i powered it up the second time, after receiving it. this was on sat, i believe. i was alarmed and looked here.

you guys haven't really gotten anything resolved, but i though i'd read through anyway. after letting it sit in standby, i powered it back on to tap tubes and it was gone. i think the tubes just were too cold yet to run them. maybe you can try just letting it sit in standby an extra 30 sec-1 minute?

anyway, since then, i have had no crackling noises with this "method" of powering it up. go figure. :?
yessir-always warm those pups up...!like a fine wine, good things take time!

lesterpaul said:
mejoshee said:

yessir-always warm those pups up...!like a fine wine, good things take time!

two minutes warm up here :D

Warming up the tubes has no effect on the crackling for me. yesterday, my Roadster had intense static after having it warm up for a couple hours. It was louder than the typical crackling. it went away, then came back.

I just got my Mark V yesterday, and have the crackling reverb problem as well. And I did let my Mrk V warmup 1st. I did have to remove a powertube to get at the V4 and V5. and what a real b*tch that was. I hope a fix was/is found for this. Gonna try to replace the V4/V5, cause I don`t get the crackling sound with the reverb off. Gotta be 1 of the reverb pre tubes right? Thx.

addendum:

screw it, this combo goes back Monday, and I don`t want it back till it has a clean bill of health from a Service Depot. Hard to believe a combo brand new can have these issues. What happened to the vaunted Mesa Quality Control??? Aaah well.

I had a similar sound going on every once in a while. I happened to be wiring a new interface cable to my rig, and moved the amp, and it did it louder than usual. I wiggled the whole amp back and forth, and finally found that the reverb wiring was the culprit. I taped them to the inside cab and the crackling sound has not come back. This happened whether I had a reverb setting on or not...

Just got the results of my crackling issue. Tech replaced all the tubes. And looked for any cold solders. The culprit seems to be a broken spring in the reverb unit. Mesa is shipping out a new Reverb Tank. Hopefully this fixes her up.

addendum: here was the issues

"confirmed problem: resoldered reverb driver tube socket, replaced reverb tube, crackling sound went away, but undesired sound still on decay of notes. Checked reverb tank, spring had broken off. ordered and replaced reverb tank, tests _ok_"

My Mark V now rocks! Am very happy.

Latest posts

Back