Crackling on Mark V combo.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdomheights777

Reaction score
I am experising slight crackling in all channels and wattage modes except for 10 watt mode. I have swapped out power tubes to new JJ6L6GC's, pre amp tubes are stock. Its not noticable when I am at ear bleeding volumes through my 2x12 vert cab though.
So what do guys think it is?

Is it like a faint static noise/crackling when you are not on stand by? If so, I've had this happen in every Mesa I've ever owned. I just live with it. Not sure if it is the power source, the loop, or something else, but I troubleshot this for a while several years ago and could not diagnose the cause.

kingdomheights777 said:
it did it with no guitar or cable plugged in. it doesn't do it in 10 watt mode on either channel

Double-check the connection between the footswitch cable and amplifier. There was a post about this static from poor connection due to the heavier gauge Mesa used.

Mark Fore said:
Is it like a faint static noise/crackling when you are not on stand by? If so, I've had this happen in every Mesa I've ever owned. I just live with it. Not sure if it is the power source, the loop, or something else, but I troubleshot this for a while several years ago and could not diagnose the cause.

yep thats it dude, its so faint that it drives me freaking nuts still! It happens wether I have the footswitch plugged in or not. I swapped out power tubes and it still does it, but it doesn't do it on 10 watt mode which is weird to me.....

kingdomheights777 said:
Mark Fore said:

yep thats it dude, its so faint that it drives me freaking nuts still! It happens wether I have the footswitch plugged in or not. I swapped out power tubes and it still does it, but it doesn't do it on 10 watt mode which is weird to me.....

What I can tell you is that it's harmless and will be intermittent. The first time I turned my Mark V on it did it... as did my other amps. I am pretty sure it is the power coming into the house or the wiring in my house (which I had redone 8 years ago and it didn't make the problem any better or worse). Sometimes it is worse than others and it doesn't do it in all locations. I'm running it through a Furman and that's the best I can do. If I were you, I would save the $$ on buying tubes to eliminate the problem. If anyone DOES have a solution, you have two of us that would be very interested in hearing about it.

I got it running through a furman already so I guess until we find out a solid solution I can just deal with it LOL

This may sound simple, but have you tried different outlets in your house ?

kingdomheights777 said:
Jim Ed Love said:
Try the preamp tubes next.

I plan on swapping them out with tung-sols soon , so i guess we will find out then lol

two things i may suggest:

this is one thing i do with any new tube amp....... remove each tube in and out the socket individually couple of times ( i do this to make sure there is a good conctact). put everything back......

my experience with V1 is that if you replace this location make sure you put back the retainer properly!!!! make sure that the spring goes right on top center of the preamp tube!!!

good luck :wink:

salvatruco said:
two things i may suggest:

this is one thing i do with any new tube amp....... remove each tube in and out the socket individually couple of times ( i do this to make sure there is a good conctact). put everything back......

my experience with V1 is that if you replace this location make sure you put back the retainer properly!!!! make sure that the spring goes right on top center of the preamp tube!!!

good luck :wink:

I will give that a try tonight, thanks

I have the same issue- crackling happens like crazy if the footswitch connection becomes loose or if I play around with it. If it's plugged in tightly, there is no crackling. This happens on all 3 channels, and all 3 modes. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this doing any damage to my amp?

thanks!

well i was fiddling with it last night and cleaned all contacts on the tubes and i put them all back in. While the amp was still turned upside down, i turned it on and no crackled. But when i turned it right side up again i got crackle .....so who i give up lol. next step is to swap pre amp tubes

Nermel said:
Well the crackling went away for me...it comes and goes I guess... oh and don't pay Gaindeli any mind...he can't help it

I think he is trying to sell his IIC+ on ebag.

Latest posts

Back