Coupling effect ....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mush

Reaction score
I play my Mark Five Combo trought a Stilletto 4 x 12 cab. The cab is on rollers.
Will I have better coupling effect if I put the cab on the rubber feets.

My reasoning is that the rubber feet are made from a vibration absorbing material but have a larger contact surface.

The cast whell have a lesser surface contact but are not absorbing thus can transfert better.

I use the cab on a wooden floor.

Greatmush

For the best coupling effect, I'd use a furniture dolly and no feet.
The entire bottom is on the floor.

A furniture dolly negates the need for casters. No need for anything at all on the bottom of the cab, except maybe some short rubber feet.
Like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-4-Rubber-Feet-1-1-2-X-3-4-W-Screws-/280681338360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159e955f8

But the furniture dolly itself has wheels, so doesn't that defeat the purpose? I've read somewhere that a guy got better bass response when he took off the casters and let the amp sit on its feet. Give it a try. Just put the casters back on at the end of the gig.

I have my amp on a carpeted concrete floor. There is more bass response and "feel" with the amp cab on the floor. There would even be a better effect If my amp was a level up where it would be a wooden floor that is more free to vibrate. The rubber feet on your cab may be made of rubber but its hard enough to transfer the vibration. In the end the best way to know is to try it. Having your cab coupled to the floor is great for feel but bad in most respects for live sound and recording. I say evaluate your needs and give it a try if its a desired effect. But short answer is yes you should get more feel by putting the cab on its feet instead of the casters. You would get a better coupling without anything on the bottom of the cab. The more surface area you can get on the ground the better. Another cool trick is to lean your combo or your cab up against a hollow wall that only has drywall and wood as the frame. That will give a good low end and turn that wall into a giant soundboard. A good way to test if a wall will have the desirable acoustic properties is to take a guitar and press the end of the headstock up against the wall and hit a chord. If you notice and increase in volume you know you have a good wall.

I always take my cabs off their wheels at gigs and put them back on at the end of the night. The cabinet on its rubber feet against a stage, gives a much better feel than if it were on its casters. I am pretty sure that they even mention this in the manual. As you guys already mentioned, it helps with the bass response and your able to feel it more under your feet. I think it's for this reason that John Pettruci has drivers installed in those metal casings he puts his feet on when he plays live. Something about the percussivness of the thump is very appealing. Feels powerful!

>Photi G< said:
But the furniture dolly itself has wheels, so doesn't that defeat the purpose? I've read somewhere that a guy got better bass response when he took off the casters and let the amp sit on its feet. Give it a try. Just put the casters back on at the end of the gig.

A furniture dolly is a platform with wheels on the bottom. The cab is placed on top of this platform and moved into position. Then the dolly is removed, leaving the cab to sit on the floor.
You don't leave the cab on the dolly.
Step 1: Wheel cab in on dolly.
Step 2: Remove dolly.
Step 3: Place cab on floor.
Step 4: Stow dolly elsewhere.
Step 5: Rawk.

MrMarkIII said:
A furniture dolly is a platform with wheels on the bottom. The cab is placed on top of this platform and moved into position. Then the dolly is removed, leaving the cab to sit on the floor.
You don't leave the cab on the dolly.
Step 1: Wheel cab in on dolly.
Step 2: Remove dolly.
Step 3: Place cab on floor.
Step 4: Stow dolly elsewhere.
Step 5: Rawk.
Step 6: ????
Step 7: Profit

I get it now. :mrgreen: But still, that's the point of the removable casters. Take them off when you don't need them, quickly attach when the amp needs hauling around.

+1 with no casters on a cab.

I leave my cabs sitting directly on the floor, and live I always have carpet with me to put under the cab. Definitely gives the cab a fuller sound with more bass response. This was just one of the fun experiments that I learned on my own years ago.

Latest posts

Back