Could use some advice on my Mark I Reissue....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am a new Boogie user, proud to say, and I am finding my new Mk1r to be A LOT of amp. Recognizing that I usually can't dial the volume up past 1 or 2 when I'm home, can anyone give me any advice on how to use the Gain controls to complement one another, and, to get the most out of their amazingly responsive (sensitive?) EQ knobs - plus, choosing Tweed vs. not-Tweed and 60W vs. 100W, etc.

Of course, my initial efforts are to find some basic tones for myself:

1. a nice fat jazz sound
2. a punchy crunch (think Angus Young)
3. a singing, heavily saturated lead (think Steve Petrucci)

I do have plenty of outboard processing for modelling and distortion, if needed: a Vox ToneLab, a POD, lots of pedals, but, of course, I would like to get what I can out of the amp without them.

Thanks!!!

The ONLY way that I know to get these three different tones from a Mark I re-issue would be to use an overdrive pedal into the #1 input for your lead, turn off the overdrive pedal for the crunch rhythm, and use the optional A/B box from MESA to select the #2 input for the jazz tone. The REAL trick will be finding the tone control settings that will support all three. Not to mention the volume drop when you switch to input #2 only.
Good luck.

...I must now pay penance by listening to the Liquid Tension Experiment releases at full volume through the speakers of '72 VW microbus....

...I am only a studio rat these days - no gigging at the moment - so, taking some time to turn some knows and even unplug my cable is not a big deal - I am just reaching for what settings others have played with get close to my requests. I've got some Boss distortion and Ibanez tube Screamer (TS7, not the TS9 or TS808, regrettably) pedals + all of the fake Recitifer DSP sounds in the POD and ToneLab blah, blah - I just want to only dial these in as little as needed.

Thanks!

No, I didn't try that - I checked out the site and they don't have the M1 - but thanks!!!

Try throwing it in 60 watt (half power) and in tweed mode.

I have done that to my Mark IV and it allows me to play at home comfortably but I also use the Harmonic and Triode functions of the Mark IV. It is worth a shot anyway. Also try turning your master down a little too.

A 60 watt amp can be quite loud. You might look into an iso cabinet so you can play into a mic then come out into a board or recording device. This will cut down on the perceived loudness and allow you to have a suitable way of monitoring your sound. You will be able to listen in at any volume that way.

nova said:
No, I didn't try that - I checked out the site and they don't have the M1 - but thanks!!!
A very rough guide line would be the "golden 7" rule for Mark x models, i.e. everything on 7 except for the bass and master volume of course... ;)

Latest posts

Back