Convince me that my Purchase was good

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpwelie34

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks, I have been looking at high end amps after realizing that buying slightly better gear in the long run would be a waste of time and money in the long run. I decided that it was best to go all out and buy quality gear that would last me a lifetime in terms of versatility for the music I play and in terms of its durability.

I researched that the Dual Recto would be the amp of choice for me so I tried it out at GC and it was awesome.

I searched on Craigslist a lot and found a very nice used 4x12 mesa cab for only 400$.

In the following days, I decided to stop by the Hollywood mesa store to check things out. I talked to the guys and thought that for an extra channel + reverb, the Roadster seemed worth it so I bought the head new for roughly 2100$ along with the used mesa 4x12 for 400$.

Now, I've been reading a lot of forums lately and everyone seems to say that only buying used is the way to go. Was my decision wrong?

I bought new with the mindset that I will take care of this instrument and use it for my entire life so I might as well buy one new.

tpwelie34 said:
Now, I've been reading a lot of forums lately and everyone seems to say that only buying used is the way to go. Was my decision wrong?

I typically buy new because I don't like inheriting other people's problems. The Roadster is a great head, and if I could afford it I'd buy one.

[/quote]

I typically buy new because I don't like inheriting other people's problems. The Roadster is a great head, and if I could afford it I'd buy one.[/quote]

yup, agree

If you flip a lot of gear, buying used is the way to go because you lose less on resale and unless you're unlucky, you won't have it long enough for any problems to show up.

If you plan on keeping it a long time, buying new gets you a nice long warranty, peace of mind that it hasn't been abused before you got it, and the loss you may eventually make if you do sell it years later is pretty small year on year if you divide it out.

Buying the cab used saved you a bit of money for no real loss though, since speakers don't really wear out - they usually either work perfectly or not, so any problems would show straight away - and if anything they get broken-in instead, which someone else has done for you :).

dont caught up in what the net says about your amp .the net is full of opinions who'll tell you what you should have bought or done with your money . just enjoy your new amp

I agree and usually buy my stuff new, but there are always deals on mesa heads. The roadster can be found for about 1450 to 1600 used with plenty of warranty still on the marker. But if you had the cash to bust out new, then why not enjoy it. Good choice on the head.

I don't think you should worry about it, every time I plug into my roadster my worries go away . I'm pretty sure my kids will thank me for the purchase when I pass it down. So if you are in it for the long run, what's a couple of bucks amoritized over the years. You picked the right amp for a long haul. The only thing you may regret is not getting the road king :p

And welcome to the board!

I got my Dual Rectifier new this year and I can't say I regret it. Of course it's more expensive, but like the other guys mentioned, you won't inherit any problems that an used amp might have ...

I remember years ago, I bought a cheap Laney Head on ebay for fun. Switched it on, nothing worked. Luckily it was only the fuse. But I strongly suspect the owner just ditched it. It could have been much worse than just a blown fuse, and then it probably gets ugly if you're trying to get your money back ...

When buying new, you're on the save side for a while. Have fun :D

I agree with what has been said.

I typically buy most of my gear used, because I typically go through a lot in the endless quest for tone.

However, I just recently bought a brand new Bogner Twin Jet, and brand new Axe-Fx. I figured those prices are always too high anyway, so i can make most of my money back if i sell.

I bought a Stiletto Ace once, and it broke first time i used it.
got it fixed, and sold it.
a couple other amps needed fixing used, and I paid the money to fix them, and promptly sold them, losing some money in the process since I laid out the cash already.

it's always a gamble...

I don't know man... If you are a careful and educated consumer and ask all the right questions pre-sale, used is the way to go.

For instance, there is a 1 year old Roadster head on my local CL right now with the original store receipt, paperwork and all retail stuff that comes with one. After asking all the *right* questions, I have determined that it is a peach.

The guy want's $1250 for it and he is the original owner who is not a gigging musician. He is a hobbie type of player like me.

That is a great price and this is how I buy all my gear. I bought new twice and lost my *** both times. Since then, I have either made $$$ or broke completely even on the deal.

If I needed a Roadster, I would be telling you about how I just bought it rather than telling you it is for sale. :)

Well, I purchased mine used about two years ago and had 2yrs left on warranty. I had a ground problem and the Luthier Shop fixed it under warranty showing him the original receipt from the original owner. So, as long as the amp is within the 5yr warranty when you purchased it and the original receipt you should be okay.

The Roadster is a beast. It is a fixed bias but you can always get a matched quad power tubes from the right dealer without actually biasing your amp. Or you can just purchase the power tubes direct from Mesa. I recently installed a bias mod on mine and I have been experimenting other brand name power tubes. So far I'm happy with it.

I'm using a 1973 Marshall JCM 800 1960A cab with the original greenback speakers and it's an awesome combination.

Jmango said:
I don't know man... If you are a careful and educated consumer and ask all the right questions pre-sale, used is the way to go.

For instance, there is a 1 year old Roadster head on my local CL right now with the original store receipt, paperwork and all retail stuff that comes with one. After asking all the *right* questions, I have determined that it is a peach.

The guy want's $1250 for it and he is the original owner who is not a gigging musician. He is a hobbie type of player like me.

That is a great price and this is how I buy all my gear. I bought new twice and lost my *** both times. Since then, I have either made $$$ or broke completely even on the deal.

If I needed a Roadster, I would be telling you about how I just bought it rather than telling you it is for sale. :)

This. I bought a like new roadster combo for $1100.00
I didn't really dig it so i sold it and made a couple c-notes. But if you don't have ANY basic knowledge of tube amps, or have a local trusty tech, i guess new was your best option.

My Roadking is a freaking nightmare money pit... but I love it dearly! Bought it used and got hosed.... but then I started really using the amp and learning everything about it... after 4000.00 the Amp has had a warranty check up at Mesa and has been repaired for many many things... but I am saving for a Roadking 2 and will not play anything else.

Back