Controling Multiple Peddles

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragzilla

Reaction score
Hey,

I want to be able to control a number of peddles with one foot switch., ie. dist. and DD with a push of a switch goes to chors. reverb and DD. What I dont want to be a dancing fool when changing my effects.

I looked at the Voodoo Labs commander and switcher does it do what i am looking for?

Is ther other options out there that I could look at.

I have seen peoples pedal boards with units like this just cant find much information though.

I am a NooB when it comes to this so please explain slowly :D

Jeff

It looks like you already found what you need.

The only thought that came to my mind was the G-System, but that would be overkill for your purposes.

The only down side to this sort of a setup, as oppossed to a MIDI setup, is that you can only have each pedal in a single loop. In other words, you can't have delay in two loops.....you'd need two delay pedals if you want one switch to be delay and overdrive, and the other delay and chorus.

Also, the pedal won't control your amp.....it's only a looper.

So, you're still looking at quite a bit of switching.

If you want to control your pedals via midi check out the Axess Electronics GRX4.

Fragzilla said:
I want to be able to control a number of peddles with one foot switch., ie. dist. and DD with a push of a switch goes to chors. reverb and DD. What I dont want to be a dancing fool when changing my effects. I looked at the Voodoo Labs commander and switcher does it do what i am looking for? Is ther other options out there that I could look at. Jeff
I believe the most cost effective way to do what you want is to use the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro/GCX combination.

This is one problem that a rack unit with MIDI solves.

if you only have up to 8 pedals, the simplest solution is the Carl Martin Combinator:

http://www.carlmartin.com/product_combinator2.htm

It does exactly what you want and is much simpler than any MIDI-based solutions.

Scott

simplest solution is the Carl Martin Combinator
Or the new Carl Martin Octaswitch, a floor pedal version for controlling up to 8 pedals in 8 loops. This can put any combination of pedals together assigned to any of the footswitches.

The Combinator IS a floor pedal solution. The not-yet-released Octaswitch looks to be just an updated version of the Combinator.

scottkahn said:
if you only have up to 8 pedals, the simplest solution is the Carl Martin Combinator:

It does exactly what you want and is much simpler than any MIDI-based solutions.

Scott

Looks interesting I will have to find a Canadian supplier for this and check it out.

I looked at ther Voodoo labs ground control and GCX unit which was in one of the local MS. It will do what I am looking for for about $1000.00. Maybe the Carl Matrin unit will be a little more cost effective.

Jeff

Fragzilla said:
scottkahn said:

Scott

Looks interesting I will have to find a Canadian supplier for this and check it out.

I looked at ther Voodoo labs ground control and GCX unit which was in one of the local MS. It will do what I am looking for for about $1000.00. Maybe the Carl Matrin unit will be a little more cost effective.

Jeff

if you're truly looking to end "tap dancing" it will eventually get expensive. if money is no issue, i would go with the ground control pro and GCX combo ($800 + alot of cables!).

if you're on a budge, look into the axess stuff. eventually you'll spend about the same but you can start small. i started with the CFX4 and custom MIDI cable, then got the MIDI mate, and finally bought the GRX4. it'll come out to about the same but at least you can buy it one at a time for about $150-$200 each. and don't forget to get quality patch cables, like george l's.

bu trust me, once you go this route, you'll never go back! i just wished i would have done it sooner!

good luck!

Jeff[/quote]

if you're on a budge, look into the axess stuff. eventually you'll spend about the same but you can start small. i started with the CFX4 and custom MIDI cable, then got the MIDI mate, and finally bought the GRX4. it'll come out to about the same but at least you can buy it one at a time for about $150-$200 each. and don't forget to get quality patch cables, like george l's.

bu trust me, once you go this route, you'll never go back! i just wished i would have done it sooner!

good luck![/quote]

I will have to look into this!

any chance you could post a pic of your set up?

If a budget is the issue think about a patchmate. I am using a Rocktron Patchmate... I picked mine up on ebay for about 250.00 with shipping. I just use a midi mate to control it.. I have seen em on ebay for about 50.00 plus ship. these thing are just as transparent as the GCX audio switcher. MY GCX audio switcher and ground control foot board, both were stolen from me a while back. I happen to see the patchmate on ebay .. so bought it.. It hasnt failed me yet and its still going strong.

The differences are

Patchmate has a decent built in HUSH noise gate.
Patchmate has 9 loops compared to the GCX's 8 loops
Bob Bradshaw designed these units for ROCKTRON.
you can find em on ebay about 250.00?
THe GCX has a buffered input. the rocktron doesnt.
cost about 400.00 new. 350.00 used.
when you use the GCX ground control you can turn off the individual loop off/on on the fly. this is about an extra 400.00
BOth are pretty **** good..
Both are just as transparent.
Both can control Expression pedals or control parameters or presets in any Processor with midi..
both need plenty of patch cords ..

I use mine mainly to channel switch my dual or triple rectifiers. and maybe a pedal or two placed in front of the amp.

YES all that toe hopping on stage is nomore.. just one push of a button..

hope this is helpful

You might also look into the WOBO units. They can be found at www.woboge.com. I've owned a couple of their units and they all have been just what I hoped they would be. I currently use the ProgLooper which basically does the same thing a Carl Martin Combinator does but with only half the amount of loops available. The ProgLooper also does channel switching of your amplifier if you use a two-channel amp. The WOBO stuff is also a good deal cheaper.

Latest posts

Back