Confessions of a Mesa Recto Newbie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyroad

Reaction score
I just bought a Boogie single rec. Excellent condition and had two sets of power tubes. EL84's and 6L6's. I couldnt believe it when I switched the tubes out with the 6L6's and liked the sound better in the modern/pushed setting!. I was thinking el's would make it more Marshall like and that wasnt the case at all. the 6L6's rock!.

Anyone else going the 6L6 way?

They come standard in Rectos! I still have mine in there! Love the 6L6 thump!

But a do have a quad of both JJ E34Ls and JJ 6L6GCs lying around, which I have to give a try!

since you said you were relatively new...just fyi before something happens to the amp. you can't use el84's in a recto, at least not without an adaptor. you can use el34's as long as you flick the bias switch in the back. the tubes mut fall within the mesa bias range.

Elpelotero said:
since you said you were relatively new...just fyi before something happens to the amp. you can't use el84's in a recto, at least not without an adaptor. you can use el34's as long as you flick the bias switch in the back. the tubes mut fall within the mesa bias range.

Your right, I'm a goof. :oops: They were EL34's not 84's. But seems the cleans sparkle more to my ear with the 6l6 's and you really dont loose that much gain.

I agree, it's 6L6s for me and my Recto. I hated the sound of the EL34s in it when I tried them and the cleans sounded nowhere near as good as either.

Latest posts

Back