Compressor suggestions for Boogies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithus77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just after some suggestions for a good compressor for my MkIII. I had a Boss CS-3 a few years back, and I was really dissapointed with it. I think it was the worst Boss product I've ever owned, so I'd be reluctant to get another one of those!

I've seen Kirk Hammett play on a few videos showing how to play Metiallica riffs etc and he has a really tight, compressed sound. I know he plays a MkIV and probably has a mountain of rack gear supporting his sound, but was wondering if there is a good product or two out there that would add a bit of tightness to my overall high gain sound.

For what its worth, I plan on buying a Barber tone press for my mark iv. It seems to be very reasonable for what you get, and I haven't heard one bad thing about them.

I have a Maxon CP 101. It works just fine with my MK III's. It's very transparent, reasonablely quiet, and doesn't mess up my tone when it's off.

thanks for the ideas

check out this clip of kirk and you'll see the kind of compressed sound im after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTwYPgf5LE&search=kirk%20hammett

As usual, I'm gonna chime in for the Keeley Compressor. I use it, I love it, and so do many, many other people. It it a great transparent (If you want it to be) or squished in your face compressor.

Try it, you won't be sorry.

RB

I'm not sure it's a compressor. EMG pickups have a lot to do with that tone.

Yes I should have mentioned that I have EMGs in my guitar, an 81 in the bridge and a 85 in the neck (Zakk Wylde set)

I use a EH Blackfinger compressor. It use two 12ax7 tubes. Sounds terrific with my MKIIC+ amps, both clean and high gain channel.

The EH Blackfinger sounds very interesting.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about the ways it changes your sound.

I'm after the ability to dial in that really 'tight' high gain sound, and as I said in previous posts, my MkIII can do the high gain bit, I just need something to tighten that sound.

What I have to say doesn't mean much really all that matters is how you hear what it does. I like what it does the way I have it set. There is a lot of range to the settings. They way I have it set is not drastic it just evens out the dynamics which means there is more harmonics in the note and less volume change from note to note. It makes the high gain sound more even yet still allows the player to control the volume with his playing. The clean sound is richer with a warmer vibrant classy tone. I like it so much I forget to turn it off.

keithus77 said:
Hi guys,

Just after some suggestions for a good compressor for my MkIII. I had a Boss CS-3 a few years back, and I was really dissapointed with it. I think it was the worst Boss product I've ever owned, so I'd be reluctant to get another one of those!

I've seen Kirk Hammett play on a few videos showing how to play Metiallica riffs etc and he has a really tight, compressed sound. I know he plays a MkIV and probably has a mountain of rack gear supporting his sound, but was wondering if there is a good product or two out there that would add a bit of tightness to my overall high gain sound.

Keithus, just for my curiosity, what was wrong with the CS-3?

I love BOSS pedals, but I found that it gave me zero sustain and zero compression. It really had such a minimal sound effect.

Really dissapointing pedal. I've head the earlier BOSS compressors were better anyway.

keithus77 said:
I love BOSS pedals, but I found that it gave me zero sustain and zero compression. It really had such a minimal sound effect.

Really dissapointing pedal. I've head the earlier BOSS compressors were better anyway.

That is exactly what I thought when I tried the CS-3 on my Boogie amps years ago. Unless I was playing a defective one, it did nothing.

I had an old Orange Squeezer which sounded pretty good with a Strat or Tele through a Fender SFDR, but it was noisy when plugged into a Boogie. Did not help much by adjusting the internal trimpot, either.

Heard a lot of good things about Carl Martin compressor. Has anyone tried it on a Boogie?

So it's not just me who didn't like the CS-3. I at least expected a bit of sustain out of it....but nothing.

The only thing it did was slightly weaken my signal when it was on making my guitar sound a bit quieter.

Anyway, that pedal went onto eBay (I think I managed to sell it back at almost what I paid for it, so wasn't a complete loss.)

BTW while we're talking BOSS pedals, I'll briefly tell you about three BOSS bargains I had from the same store I bought my MkIII for AUD$500.

I got a brand new, in a box, TU-2 tuner for AUS$75 (list price in Oz for a new one is AUD$275)

I got a vintage DC-2 Dimension C for AUD$60. It was a beautiful sounding pedal, one setting was like a subtle Leslie effect. I sold that one on ebay for around 200. If I saw another one, I'd keep it for sure.

I got an almost new OD-1, which are beginning to get desirable. It was near mint, and it cost me like $50. I sold that one on eBay for $250 and used the money to buy a set of Zakk Wylde EMGs. :)

Just a few of my bargains that came to mind when talking BOSS pedals.

is the level control supplies much more (too much) gain compared with the CS2. If you keep the level control at unity gain it will sound better than using the pedal as a boost. It becomes usable. That being said, I didn't care for the added tone control either, so I got a CS2 on ebay. Much better.

keithus77 said:
thanks for the ideas

check out this clip of kirk and you'll see the kind of compressed sound im after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgTwYPgf5LE&search=kirk%20hammett

That sounds not from a compressor, it's from a Tubescreamer.....

I has a CS3 for a while but never used it. It just did'nt feel or sound right. I got a T-Rex Comp Nova four months ago and it is now my most used pedal. Great for smoothing out sound levels and adding sustain to my leads. It is pretty transparent which I like. There are lots of good comps out there but the Comp Nova is worth serious consideration.

Back