Compressor always on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
for those of you with compressors, do you leave it always on whether distorted or clean, or use it for specific applications? Is it a big part of your tone or is it just a very fine tuning of your tone?

I would say that it is a fine-tuning of my tone, but absolutely essential. The difference shouldn't jump out at you when you play your instrument alone. In rehearsal or live setting, it should "magically" transform your sound from mud in the mix, to a tightly focused, easily discernable tone.

For me, it depends on the song. During loud, fast songs, I use it to keep the overall mix from getting sloppy. In slower songs with more "space", I keep it off, and then turn it on for leads.

Try to set your compressor so that your max volume is the same on or off. It can make you stand out without taking over the whole mix.

I keep my JangleBox compressor on most of the time, net to its Normal position. Certain songs require the Dark or Bright settings too, but Normal works for almost everything.

When I'm playing something where I want the distortion to be kind of messy and splatty sounding, then I turn the compression off.

All good posts. Singing leads are easily obtained with a compressor in front for me.

I just sold my Vodka Mods MXR Dyna Comp in favor of a Monte Allums CS-3 w/ Opto Plus Mod. Any opinions? I was hoping for more sustain for the most part...

My MXR Dynacomp is integral to my clean sound. I have it on FULL squish, and use the level to boost the preamp. It's always on when I'm in the clean channel. But I never use it wityh the overdrive channel - just way too noisy, and not really needed, since my amps (DC-3 and F-50) have plenty of sustain in overdrive. Strats and teles plus the compressor. Juicy tone.

Sometimes on and sometimes off. I don't like to have the compressor on for heavy rythm parts but I have it on for leads. I like to have a nice squished sound when I'm doing clean finger tapped parts. It makes everything smooth out a bit.

i've decided i don't like/need compression live. to me they mess w/the high end a bit too much. plus i like having dynamics. the closest i got to liking one was my Barber Tone Press. can't live without compression in the studio though!

I actually use my BYOC (ross) compressor when I play acoustic shows. I leave it on all the time. it works great.

for the electric guitar, sometimes I turn it on and leave it on, sometimes just use it for solos and stuff.

Latest posts

Back