Comparing Mark IV with Dual Caliber, Nomad 100 and F-100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZedPi

Reaction score
Lately I came accross various people producing great audio clips with Mesa amps that haven't got my attention cause they were, well, totally unavailable and some of them discontinued. I've set my mind on Mark IV couple of weeks ago (just waiting for the right specimen on ebay :? ), but I'd like to know how it compares to amps in the topic title (I'm interested in heads, not combos). More or less, they look pretty much the same (to me, at least, I know everybody else would dissagree), but tonally, I don't know. I'm asking cause I saw a couple of auctions for these amps on ebay that are not high in price.

Thanks in advance!

ZedPi

The mark IV is way cooler than all of them.....As for head or combo..They are the same

The Mark IV is the most versatile and has the most control over the amp through the footswitch. The Mark IV has the best Lead channel and will hold its value the best.

F series amps are basically like the DC amps but a little more modern. The F series replaced the DC. The DC and F amps are good amps for what they do. Mesa does not produce any "bad" products. It is just up to you to decide what you like. Had there not been a Mark series I would have looked into the DC or F amps.

The Mark IV gain type if I remember correct is more in the DC area but can get a little more, probably because the EQ helps some, the IV is very versatil but take time to master. The F-series has more moder gain than the Mark IV and the DC series, the clean is also more "sparkling" than the others. I have a DC-5 and a F-100, I like more the DC and would prefer it over the mark IV but that is personal taste of course. I think the Mark IV has one of the best cleans.

Funny I was thinking that it's true Mesa does not make any bad product but tend to discontinue very good ones... (mark II-C+, Maverick, Blue Angel, etc...)...hehe

LPClassic said:
The Mark IV gain type if I remember correct is more in the DC area but can get a little more, probably because the EQ helps some, the IV is very versatil but take time to master. The F-series has more moder gain than the Mark IV and the DC series, the clean is also more "sparkling" than the others. I have a DC-5 and a F-100, I like more the DC and would prefer it over the mark IV but that is personal taste of course. I think the Mark IV has one of the best cleans.

Funny I was thinking that it's true Mesa does not make any bad product but tend to discontinue very good ones... (mark II-C+, Maverick, Blue Angel, etc...)...hehe
Forgot to mentioned Road King's flag ship Tremo-Verb.

Yeah, (my opinion) MESA's R&D, marketing department kinda assume these discountinue amps' predecessors will full-filled these previous discountinued amps. And there is some of us rather have something simplified like these discountinued amps. :?

RR you rigth, I was just thinking about the T-verb today... the Mark IIC+ probably would be the most desirable to be a re-issue, but the company preffered to re-issue the Mark I, very good but I think the IIC+ is probably at the top of the curve... my personal thinking is if it is not brocken, don't try to improve it... but if you do always be able to go back...

Still great products.

In the order that I like them:

Mark IV
DC
F
Nomad

And FYI, the Nomad replaced the DC. And the F replaced the Nomad.

Latest posts

Back