Comment on my DC-10 and Mesa Tolex in general...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
Ok first, I noticed something that struck me as being odd. When I crank the gain on my rhythm channel, the sound gets louder more than dirtier, but on the lead channel, cranking the gain just makes the sound dirtier and more compressed (in a very, VERY good way), but it doesn't get any louder. I figured the gain would cause the rhythm channel to get dirtier as well.

Also, what is the color of your Mesa Tolex? I've seen some jet black (of course there are other colors), but mine is kind of a black with gray splotches all over it. Looks kind of "cloudy". What is Mesa's standard color?

Your Clean Channel has less Gain stages. This means that it will achieve less Saturation.

The Lead Channel has at least 2 more Gain stages. It is aimed at getting more Distortion.

What is happening is that you are exceeding the maximum linear gain or clean gain for the tube stages in the Lead channel. There is only so much headroom (clean gain) in a tube stage. Once it is reached, you will notice that the amp doesn't get much louder, but it gets sweeter and you should have more sustain and smoother distortion.

The Clean channel is designed to stay more Clean and be used as a Rythm Channel.

I've noticed the Gray tolex on older DC's. I had a DC-2 with the Gray tolex.

My DC-2 is newer and has the Black Taurus (fake leather).

My Mark IV's head cab is Red Lizzard, kind of like Snake Skin, but less 80's looking.

My Mark IV's combo cab is Black Taurus.

Latest posts

Back