combo vs head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
Regarding "issues" w/ the tubes and such does the combo present more problems then the head since it is one structure and there is much less isolation from the vibrations?

I am debating on getting a head / recto vert 2x12 and a 1x12 (maybe theile or wide body)
or the the Combo and the recto vert 2x12.

the latter is obviusly cheaper, but the former is easier to transport (weight wise) and has a little more versitility since they are all separate.

just trying to see what makes the most sense...

opinons???

Head.

Why?

Mark Combos are too heavy.
Heads are easier to resell.
If you decide to switch combo shells are much easier to find used.
Heads minimize annoying tube rattles.
The fan is not right behind the speaker. (Can be a problem when recording)
Easier to experiment with different speaker combinations.
The "Stack" factor 8)

FYI - Thiele cabs sound great. I use a 1x12 Open Back & and 1x12 Thiele. Sounds fantastic.

OK here's my story on both.
I went to guitar center and played Both the head and the Combo, so I spent about an hour with the head and the rec 4x12 Cab and about 20 minutes with the combo, same settings as the head pretty much and at that point the combo sounded better than then head to me, not sure if it was the speaker or what, but I started thinking about what (GD_NC) pretty much said, you know heads are easier to sell and all this things.
So I decided to go with the Head. I could not take home that same day so I put it on layaway and once I paid they shipped it to me, but the head was damaged during shipping so I kept the head for about two months until the replacement arrived. Once it arrived I went to pick up my replacement and there was a combo also so I decided to play the combo again and surely enough the sound was just a lot better. So I got the Combo instead and could not be much happier.

Mark Combos might be too heavy but the heavier the better for any combo.
I would say play both and go with what sounds better to you.

Remember we get a five year warranty with Mesa, just in case you are worried about having problems with your pick (combo or head)

One more thing, I suggest taking you favorite guitar or the guitar you use the most to try the mark V.
Good Luck

They sold a lot of these Mark series combos in the last 30 years so I guess there are very good chances that it does what its supposed to do. I must of have a streak of bad luck with mine. Murphy's law type of things. And at about 68 lbs (for the standard combos not the hadrwood ones) they are still a tad lighter than a Fender twin at 80 lbs!

Risking to go off topics, for ch.2 I now settled on Mark I thick with funny looking GEQ. Ch.3 is extreme with drive at 3 o'clock.

You will dig this amp I guarantee

I decided to go for the combo because it made more sense to me. I ordered one last week so I'll be waiting for a while :? :? :? :? :? :? NO biggie.

I originally was going for a head (badass factor) but realized it made more sense to go combo since I'm basically just a basement player.

Latest posts

Back