Combo questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr GearHead

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a few weeks, so far I am impressed with this forum, you guys seem to have your heads screwed on and are pretty objective so thought it was about time I asked a question

I am looking to buy a 1x12 combo in about a months time. I am not totally against the idea of a 2x12 or head and cab but my band only plays small gigs, i.e. local pubs etc and our other guitarist has a 1x12 combo so I don’t want him to think I am trying to out do him.

We play the usual covers, the most extreme we get is a couple of tracks off the Metallica black album. As I am playing lead most of the time it’s important for me to have dedicated clean tone and some way of shifting between a distorted rhythm and lead sound (be that an extra channel or pedals)

Top of the list is the Mark IV, I have also tried an F50 (could’ve been a 30) and an Express 25 but not the Stiletto Ace.

I like the idea of a more plug and play type of amp like the Stiletto or F/express but am pretty sure I will be more happy with the Mark IV in the long run.

The purpose of this post is not to ask peoples opinions on these amps (although that is certainly welcome), but rather to ask owners of the above combos what they don’t like about them. I think that will help me out more when I try and get them all together for a final test and decision.

Thanks in advance

You can get a slight vibration in the tubes from the speaker resulting in some microphonic squealing. There are bands or springs you can add to reduce this for 15 to 20 bucks that keep this from happening.

Personally I'd never rule out a head and 2x12. I have a revtoverb and 2x12 and now use a DR with it on occasion. But, I don't gig out so...you know.

Welcome to the board.

I know you want to hear what people don't like about the combos you mentioned, but I'm going to chime in with my two cents about the positive aspects of a couple.

I've never owned a Mark IV, but have played therough them. These are incredibly versatile amps, but they are not really "plug and play" inasmuch as you're going to really need to spend some time getting your settings right and learning your way around. They are also expensive, weigh a lot and are very, very loud. In the long run, however, this would be (in my opinion) the best choice if you don't mind the tweaking and can afford it.

I own an F-50, and love it. I had some issues in the beginning that stemmed from a bad speaker, but after that was fixed, the amp has become my mainstay for anything other than the smallest of rooms we play. It can get you into superb clean territory, and with the drive channel you can get great old school rock and roll crunch as well as very close to recto land with the contour engaged. It accepts effects very nicely, is plenty loud, and is without question a "plug and play" amp. Simple and versatile.

I also own a DC-3. If you've never played one of these you owe it to yourself. This amp is super compact, extremely versatile, and can handle almost any situation. It's based around EL84 power tubes, so the sound is really quite a lot different from the F-50, more vox-like I guess. But this little thing can push a lot of air. Also definitely a nice and easy plug and play combo.

FWIW I have always preferred combos over separate heads and cabs simply because they are less of a hassle to move around - one less trip in and out at 3 a.m. If you want to run any of these combos through an extension cab, you can always do that (and they all sound unbelieveable through a 4x12, by the way.

Good luck.

Just to share my experiences about the 5:50.
I have literally just come back from my local shop having finally decided to get a refund on the above amp.
I had a nightmare experience with these and had a total of 4 in about 5 weeks. The last one went away for "repair" and actually came back worse!
It does seem if a troublesome batch are in the UK so beware.
I'm sure there are loads of 5:50 owners who love their amps and I really wish I could have joined the club.

I have not heard about problems with the 5:25 but power might be an issue and the cleans aren't as nice.

Hope you have better luck than me (you can't have worse, surely!!?)

Reg said:
Just to share my experiences about the 5:50.
I have literally just come back from my local shop having finally decided to get a refund on the above amp.
I had a nightmare experience with these and had a total of 4 in about 5 weeks. The last one went away for "repair" and actually came back worse!
It does seem if a troublesome batch are in the UK so beware.
I'm sure there are loads of 5:50 owners who love their amps and I really wish I could have joined the club.

I have not heard about problems with the 5:25 but power might be an issue and the cleans aren't as nice.

Hope you have better luck than me (you can't have worse, surely!!?)
hey reg, so what did you decide to go with?

abecon5 said:
hey reg, so what did you decide to go with?

I'm going away for a few days and will think about it.
Possibles include:

LSS
Koch Studiotone or Multitone
Budda 18
Soldano Astroverb.

Don't want to hijack your thread Dr Gearhead (are you a neurologist?) but you might want to look at those amps as well.
I know most of them aren't Mesa's but don't know if I can stretch to a LSS.
Good luck with your search

I have the LSS and would recommend it for your consideration. Lots of tone choices. Having said that, if you are looking for pure cleans with some variations easily done, the new LSC 10-50-100 is really nice. The Mark IV in my opinion based on two hours of demo time make me believe that it takes way more time to dial in a sound and is very powerful by comparision and I found myself having to hold the output at about "3" to not be blown out of the room.

The weight of the LSS and LSC 1x12 is plenty if you have stairs or distance to battle and the 2x12 is likely about 12 lbs more at around 90#, which makes it a lug around.

Thanks to all for the input.

I am wondering now if I would be better off with an F50 as it would be cheaper and I would probably find it easier to use. I also like the fact it can do the more modern distortion. I am not sure the LSS will get heavy enough for me.

thanks again.

Hey Reg - you've just been incredibly unlucky with the 5:50. I've had zero prob's with mine. Couldn't be happier with it.

I've owned 8 or so tube & SS combo's over the years - Marshall. Fender, Line 6, Roland and now Mesa - both 2x12 and 1x12 ones. I've also gigged with a mates Vox AC30. I recently went shpooing for a new tube combo amp and bought the 5:50 :lol:

Tone is highly subjective but myself and many other people feel the clean tones on most of the Mesa amps are very ordinary compared to Fender, Vox, Marshall etc. I thinks that's especially true of the Mark IV and the F50. The major exceptions to this are the Lonestar and, best of all Mesa's, the 5:50 for clean and crunch tones.

Distortion, of course, is a whole new ball game and this is what most Mesa amps are famous for. So really depends on what kind of music you play and the degree of versatility you want. If you want great clean & crunch tones I wouldn't get a Mark IV or an F50. A Mesa 5:50 or Marshall TSL60, Fender Hot Rod, one of the Randalls or a Vox AC30 is much more versatile IMHO

Before you buy you should test all of these amps with your own guitars and see what sounds best to you :D

Hi Newysurfer,
I have just got myself a new amp!
Not a Mesa I am afraid to confess on here!!!!

It's a Koch Twintone II and I am more than happy.
It is a 50 watt 1 x 12 combo that goes down to 25 watts.
2 x 34els, reverb, 3 channels, headphone socket etc.

Thay are quite a bit cheaper than the Mesas (in th UK anyway)
Jam Guitars are doing them for £810 delivered this month (normal price £900 which is still £300 less than the 5:50).

I really wanted to go with Mesa but just couldn't be bothered to try again.

Thanks for all the great comments, advice and support from everyone.
What a great site and so informative.

I went a played the F50 today, it was cool but it didn't really turn me on. Whilst I was there I had a crack through a Stiletto head, definitely more my thing. I am going to order the 1x12 Ace combo later today.

I am slightly nervous about spending so much on an amp that I haven't actually played but they are like rocking horse sh1t round here so am just going to take the chance.

I am already thinking about a 1x12 extension cab, any suggestions what speaker will work well with the ace 1x12

Thanks for all the help with this, soon I will be one of you

Stiletto Ace 1x12 ordered :twisted:

Should be here towards the end of next week.

Only one more practise with my AVT100 and then it's out of here

I was goint to tell you all the bad points of my F-30 but it doesn't have any.

I prefer combos. I play clubs/bars. Not Wimbley.

I used a Marshall 1/2 stack for nearly a decade and the biggest problem was the drummer couldn't hear me, and I was killing people 20 feet in front of it.

In a bar seating under 350 or so, we don't mike the amps, it's pointless, and I don't want my tone coming out of 15's and horns anyhow. That's why I buy an amp with 12's. (or 10's). I crank the amp.

Different strokes, but I just don't like closed back cabs, in a simple bar gig, and I've been doing it for 3 decades.

I've seen bands run everything through the board in a club seating 150 people, then run everything back through the moniters and do soundchecks for an hour and it's just stupid. You end up with a big mush.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back