Combo or Head???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev57

Reaction score
I am currently researching buying a Mark V to replace my Stiletto. I have traditionally used separate head and cabs (2x12 Cornford). Being in the UK there are not a lot of Mark V's around, and most of them seem to be combos. I realise I can add my cab to the combo anytime, but what opinions are out there on the amp with combo speaker?

The combo has the C90 speaker in it, which is my personal preference over the V30. As far as the head v.s. cab thing, I opted for the head over the combo for both versatility and portability. The head weighs 45lbs, the combo is up around 70lbs (not sure how that converts to kg, but heavy is heavy, and the combo is HEAVY!). Also, the combo won't fit in the trunk of my car unless I remove my car stereo subwoofers, but my 3/4 back 2x12 fits in there nicely and the head is easy to put in the back seat. Trying to wrestle the combo into the back seat of my car would be challenging at best!

Head. I recently went from longterm mk1v combo to mkv head for the selfsame reasoning as the previous poster. The versatility of cabinet-switchings and attendant weight and portability advantages far outstrip the combo option especially as you are offered Hobson's choice in England regarding speaker model. After twenty years of puffing up stairs and fire-escapes with a flightcased combo at hundreds of UK gigs I wholeheartedly recommend the head even though it took 8 months to arrive here (perhaps they rowed).

Head! Had a combo for a week and returned it for a head. Same reasoning and some tube rattling issues...long story.

Head Head Head.

MrMarkIII said:
Head!
Oh, wait, I misunderstood the question. :lol:

Lol! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a dirty mind around here.

+1 for the head, though. I used a Mark IV combo for a long time with a flight case, and that sucker was HEAVY! Anywho, this brings me to another point...

...any man who spends $2,000 on an amp, but forgoes a $200 case is a fool.

Latest posts

Back