Closing Up a Lonestar Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwish

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this with theirs? Not dissatisfied with the current sound, just curious. Looks pretty easy to just slap a piece of good wood back there and now you have a convertible cabinet.

I did it with a LS 1x12 ext cab to tighten up my other open back cab. It did exactly what I expected tighter, edgier and focused. The two cabs complement each other nicely. I only use the closed back with the open or when recording, by itself it can sound a little boxy, not bad though. I use it with a LSS and use ev sro alnico speakers. I have been playing with a cele. gold in the open back and the sro in the closed, right now this setup kills, what one speaker lacks the other picks up. I used 3/4 birch ply. and used a parts express round jack. I also got some coco tolex off ebay, cheep. I added a thin layer of wool batting to raise the Q of the cab. Its nice to not have butchered up the cab too. and it matches.

I have an old Mesa/Boogie 1x12 "Convertable" cab. It's basically a standard compact 1x12 cab with a extra piece of wood to seal the back. Works well enough, but I think it sounds better open.

...short anwser. Yes! Just slap a piece of 3/4" plywood across the back and see if you like it better. If you like it, order some tolex to match and your all set.

zwish said:
Or with any open back cab?
I used my LSC head with an open-back Stiletto cab for awhile, but I ended up putting back its original panel to make it closed-back...sounded better to my ears, more powerful and tight. Hope it can help! :wink:

I have seen people warn about heat issues that can arise when closing a combo. Possibly also vibrations. I would recommend doing a google search for these issues, if it is a combo amp. It not, go to town!

I keep my convertible 1x12 cabinet half open at the moment. But I'm thinking of adding a 1/4 open back possibility.

Latest posts

Back