Cleaning grill cloth...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
I have an F-30 that looks like someone may have spilled something on the grill cloth. I would like to clean it and make it look new again. It looks like I can just unscrew the four screws and remove it.

What would be the best way to clean the grill? What detergents or solvents, if any, should I use? Anything to stay away from that might discolor or stain it?

Thanks for the help in advance. Much appreciated.

Try a soft brush (a toothbrush is a good idea) or lintless cloth plus a weak solution of non-abrasive general purpose cleaner and water, if the water alone doesn't do the trick.

I have used a product called "Simple Green" on both tolex and grill cloth with excellent results. I get it in either a Lowe's or Home Depot. My supermarket has it as well. After you use it to clean, rinse with water. It is an enzymatic cleaner. Have fun!!

Yeah, Simple Green can be good but just be sure to dilute it a lot. Also be careful not to get your baffle too wet. It may deform.

I don't really see the point of cleaning grille cloth unless it is really atrocious or you plan on trying to fool someone when you go to sell it. It is like any other condition that your amp has come into being. It adds to the character of the amp and there is usually a good story to go along with it. Besides does your grille cloth affect your tone? or make you lose sleep at night because it is not minty fresh (and yes, Simple Green does smell minty)? I wouldn't worry about it. If you are selling it then it may still hold that mouthwash smell once it arrives at the buyer's address and then you have explaining to do.

I would probably use two spray bottles...a clean sponge...a clean toothbrush/paintbrush and several bath towels.

Fill one spray bottle with clean water.

Fill another with a dilute solution of dishsoap/water.

Lay the grill flat, and underneath a set of towels folded underneath, to support the grill cloth.

Spray the grill with a mist of water...then spray the dilute soapy over the areas that are dirty, with more soap over the dirtier areas.

Use a sponge up and down, to pat the soapy solution into the fibers (avoid large side to side sweeps with sponge). Use a new toothbrush, or even a new paintbrush to gently work heavily stained areas in small circular patterns.

Spray enough clean water over the worked area to float the dirty soap solution, and use a shop-vac, or even a reasonable amount of pressure from an air compressor (oily compressor vapor need not apply!) to hasten removal of the dirty water. Repeat until no more soap is visible.

Towels can be helpful to pat the surface dry. Leave the grillcloth in the sun on a warm day, to rapidly dry the grill. Do not let the water collect at the bottom of the grill because of gravity. Keep it turned, and keep it warm until dry. :D

Guitarzan said:
Beer stains add charachter.

And it increases the size of your amp's nuts. Unfortunately, beer stains on us just make us look like slobs but they do a wonder for your amp like a couple well placed cigarette burns and some scuffs.

Mojo, Mojo, Mojo....

I once heard that the best gear gets played so it has road scars and the stuff that doesn't sound so good gets kept in the closet and is rather pristine.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do have some simple green that my wife uses to clean - great stuff. I used to work at an electronics company and we used to use it to clean dirty, oily, grime off industrial circuit boards.

Anyway, I just used some hot water and a toothbrush because I thought it was the safest way. Worked like a charm. I am getting ready to sell it, and I just wanted it to look it's best because that's what I would want from a used piece. This spot was the only blemish on the whole amp, and I'm kinda nit-picky about these things as well.

Thanks again. On to the Mark IV!!!

UsrName said:
There's a few suppliers online. Do a search on here for grill or jute, and you'll get some links.

I called my local guitar shop. They said a rep can tell me the pricing. It'll probably be cheaper if I buy it locally minus the shipping.

Latest posts

Back