Clean headroom with DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
Can I get about the same amount of clean headroom using a DC-3 with two 2x12 cabs, as I could with say a DC-5/Nomad 55/F-50 combo or DC-10/Nomad 100/F-100 combo?

I'm thinking even though the DC-3 has a lower power output, that doubling (or quadrupling) the number of speakers would make up for the difference. It would also be much easier on the back!!!

I sent you a PM.

The answe - in my opinion - is yes. You'll get all the clean headroom you need using that approach. The DC-3 is a LOUD amp. With the extra speakers, you're not going to believe it's only a 35 watt amp.

nosajwp said:
Can I get about the same amount of clean headroom using a DC-3 with two 2x12 cabs, as I could with say a DC-5/Nomad 55/F-50 combo or DC-10/Nomad 100/F-100 combo?

I'm thinking even though the DC-3 has a lower power output, that doubling (or quadrupling) the number of speakers would make up for the difference. It would also be much easier on the back!!!

NO WAY!

I have a DC-3 112, and Mark IIIs and Mark IVs. No way can the DC-3 produce the clean headroom of the 100-watt 6L6 amps, or even the 50-watt versions.

That said, it MIGHT be enough clean headroom for many venues and applications, but it certainly will not be as dynamic as the bigger amps.

The F-100 and DC-10 will play very loud and very clean with excellent dynamics. Most players will only use the 60 watt settings on these amps.

My Mark III Coliseum is simply BRUTAL in the FULL POWER position--notes explode out of the amp--hitting in the guts like a sledge.

If you want headroom: big amps with lots of big tubes (6L6s and 6550s) and heavy iron is the way to get it.

Bill

Back