Clean Boost???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRANK

Reaction score
Please don't think I'm too stupid but could someone please explain what a clean boost is. Does it just mean to use the distortion pedal without turning up the gain on it? I have a single Recto that I just love the distortion on, but I want to tighten it up a bit. I have read that if I add a clean boost it would get me what I want. Any insight and how to's would be greatly appreciated. Just thought I would let everyone know that I am a first time MESA owner long time DSL owner. Selling my DSL I have no need for it now that I have my single rectifier. Man this thing just screams. :D Wish I had found this out alot earlier.

A clean boost takes your guitar signal and boost it without adding any color (EQ, muddieness, mids, ect...). It turn, the higher input pushes your preamp harder and can give you more drive and sustain. A overdrive pedal with the gain all the way down wont be a CLEAN boost, but it would be a boost of sorts and may be what you want? A Tubescreamer with very little gain going to my Road King will tighten it up pretty good.

A volume pedal wont' work, it has to be a boost. I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster sometimes when playing a single coil guitar, it'll give you a 6 db to 25 db boost (something like that) to get me up to the level of a humbucker (volume and overdrive).

Thanks for the input guys. First I just purchased a tubescreamer for that specific purpose. Could you give me an idea of some settings for my tubescreamer to keep the integrity of my amp sound. Secondly thanks for the sound clip, there is a very noticeable difference. That’s what I'm looking for, is that your sound clip? If so what did you use and where approximately were the settings? Thanks for all the assistance, this forum is awesome.

I hate to tell you - but a tubescreamer is not a line boost. Its more like an OD pedal which will add drive prior to the preamp.

Latest posts

Back