Chugga Chugga

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzilla

Reaction score
Ok, I have been working with my Dual Rec for a while now trying to get that non muddy chugga chugga sound. When I palm mute, I want it to rumble the floors, yet I cannot seem to get that tone. I am using a Marshall 1960BX cab with Greenbacks. Can you guys get the nice low end rumble from a standard 440 tune? No drop D's. If so, what settings do you use? Whenever I try to do it, it gets muddy and crappy sounding.

The speakers you are using is the problem, greenbacks do not have much bottem end at all. I would go with a recto traditional/stiletto cab.

Zoomzilla said:
Ok, I have been working with my Dual Rec for a while now trying to get that non muddy chugga chugga sound. When I palm mute, I want it to rumble the floors, yet I cannot seem to get that tone. I am using a Marshall 1960BX cab with Greenbacks. Can you guys get the nice low end rumble from a standard 440 tune? No drop D's. If so, what settings do you use? Whenever I try to do it, it gets muddy and crappy sounding.

Also, do this...

Get a Tubescreamer. It doesn't really matter which one as long as it's a rough approximation of a TS-808. You want the thing to boost the mids and rob bass from the front end of the amp. You also dial down your bass on the front panel of the amp. Then, throw a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and boost the bass up till it's where you want it.

Basically what this does is it makes the Rectifier function more like a Mark series amp. Starve the preamp for bass and it tightens everything up nicely.

Even if you don't hit it with a TS808, some sort of EQ to reduce bass before it hits the preamp will help a lot. If you do that, you can dial up the gain to 1-3o'clock without it being too messy.

Keep in mind, you need a certain loudness for some nice tight playing, too. The cab loans it's own voicing of low end when the speakers start getting loud enough, and it's hard to get that good sound any way other than turning it the eff up.

siggy14 said:
The speakers you are using is the problem, greenbacks do not have much bottem end at all. I would go with a recto traditional/stiletto cab.

+1, greenbacks can't really do this.

siggy14 said:

Zoomzilla said:

Well I could have bought a BV instead of a BX to get the V30's in it. I may still do that if the Greenbacks do not give me what I want. I wonder why the BX was more expensive than the BV.

I agree, the speakers are more than likely the culprit. I like the Celestion Century neodymium speakers, for years I used a cab loaded with 1983 Celestion G12-80's...chunk city.

a friend of mine had a triple rec and a marshall cab...it sounded kinda muddy and unclear...when he got his mesa cab i was stunned by the difference, crystal clear and the bottom end blew my head off!

Zoomzilla said:

It's definitely the speaker you're using. Greenbacks are an awesome speaker, but definitely are not designed for chug.

I've got a Marshall 1960A w/ G12T-75s and it rumbles floors. Mesa cabs use thicker wood so are likely to sound bassier, however the standard marshall 1960a is a good cost effective option.

madryan said:
Also, do this...

Get a Tubescreamer. It doesn't really matter which one as long as it's a rough approximation of a TS-808. You want the thing to boost the mids and rob bass from the front end of the amp. You also dial down your bass on the front panel of the amp. Then, throw a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and boost the bass up till it's where you want it.

Basically what this does is it makes the Rectifier function more like a Mark series amp. Starve the preamp for bass and it tightens everything up nicely.

Ok, so I am going to get an EQ. One recommendation is the MXR, does anyone else have a favorite EQ?

G12k-100's from Celestion will get you MASSIVE low-end. You wont need EQ or any boost.

Edit: A closed-back cab will also help lots.

-D

diaz said:
G12k-100's from Celestion will get you MASSIVE low-end. You wont need EQ or any boost.

Edit: A closed-back cab will also help lots.

-D

I have a closed back cab.

Ok, so lets say I go out and buy some pedals today, the only thing I am running is an ISP decimator. I would assume that I would run all of the pedals in the loop? so it would be guitar straight into amp, then a few pedals in the loop, the last one being the ISP Decimator. Does this sound right?

If you pick up a boost/gain pedal (ts-808) you'll want that in front, between your guitar and the amp (before your preamp). Run your EQ pedal in the Loop (after the preamp).

That's the general idea. Mark-Series Style.

Just realized-- if you're running actual 25W Celestion greenbacks, you're in danger of blowing up your speakers playing a DR through that cab. When you hit a big palm mute at volume, that's going to be well over 100 watts-- I have heard that DRs can put out as much as 160 or 170.

Seriously, man, get some different speakers.

CoG said:
Just realized-- if you're running actual 25W Celestion greenbacks, you're in danger of blowing up your speakers playing a DR through that cab. When you hit a big palm mute at volume, that's going to be well over 100 watts-- I have heard that DRs can put out as much as 160 or 170.

Well I never run the DR wide open. I really don't think the tone changes what much from say 11 oclock and on. So I run it usually around 12 to 1 oclock. If I need it louder than that, it will need to be miced.

Ok, so i bought an MXR M108 at lunch. We will see how it sounds.

I may change out the cab eventually and get a cab with the Vintage 30's in it. I have a friend who owns a production company and about a million different cabs. He plays through some and rents some out. If I want to get rid of the BX, he will buy it from me. I really like the tone of the greenbacks and will never fully crank the DR. I know what speaker breakup sounds like and I have not heard it yet.

CoG said:

Well I never run the DR wide open. I really don't think the tone changes what much from say 11 oclock and on. So I run it usually around 12 to 1 oclock. If I need it louder than that, it will need to be miced.

Ok, so i bought an MXR M108 at lunch. We will see how it sounds.

I may change out the cab eventually and get a cab with the Vintage 30's in it. I have a friend who owns a production company and about a million different cabs. He plays through some and rents some out. If I want to get rid of the BX, he will buy it from me. I really like the tone of the greenbacks and will never fully crank the DR. I know what speaker breakup sounds like and I have not heard it yet.

Ugh, sorry for the double post. I have no idea why this site does that to me!!! Anyway, I don't think the Greenbacks will blow. Do you know how many famous musicians use Greenbacks with their 100W heads? Here is a funny story as well. I really do not like Peavey stuff, but I will use them as a reference. The EVH 5150 III head is 100W, the matching cab that goes with it is 80 watts? WTF? The EVH speakers are 20W speakers. Why would they put a 100W head on top of an 80W cab? Apparently it works for them.

I've recorded lot's of chug type music, in A440 and C# with greenbacks and it sounds awesome. That's also using a 100 watt marshall. I agree with the people saying any kind of pedal that will take away a little bass going into the amp will help a lot. The EQ pedal in the loop would also be cool. I really think greenbacks can do anything and they're my desert island speaker.

If you do need to get really loud and want just a little more tightness in the lows and snap in the high end I recommend a Celestion classic 80 as they're pretty neutral sounding in that they don't sound "cold" when it's not loud or heavily distorted. The Boogie Celestion 90 is another good choice for loud high "recto" gain but it's very efficient and bright, but that may work in your favor with recto distortion. I personally hate Vin 30's as they cut mids and make the highs quite sizzly. I may sometimes want to scoop with the EQ but I don't want my speakers to do it.

I don't like the Cel 90's with my Marshall but they sound great with Boogie amps. If you get a Boogie cab, get a traditional size one not the oversize version. They're too boomy in the bass.

Back