Choosing betwen widebody 1X12 open back or closed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I can't try those cabs for a Mark V head and have a hard time deciding between both.

Has anybody have experience with the two? For the high gain sounds, the front ported / closed back seems a better bet, but the open back may have the edge for fuller sounding cleans and crunches. Supposedly, the front port makes the widebody a less straight and focused than a regular closed back.

A couple of questions here:

1 - Has anoyone experieced both speakers and what is the verdict?
2 - Do the difference between these cabs matter a lot when the cab is miced up to run through a PA?
3 - DIY question: If I get the open back version, and cut a plank of wood to size to close the back of the speaker when needed, will it be as effective?

Thanks in advance!

Steven Latch said:
A couple of questions here:

1 - Has anoyone experieced both speakers and what is the verdict?
2 - Do the difference between these cabs matter a lot when the cab is miced up to run through a PA?
3 - DIY question: If I get the open back version, and cut a plank of wood to size to close the back of the speaker when needed, will it be as effective?

Thanks in advance!

1a - I have both.
1b - Get the Royal-Atlantic 1x12.
2 - I've mic'd both and with a close mic'd SM-57 the differences are minimal, however I find the open back easier to mic since the port on the front ported is out of phase from the speaker.
3 - No idea.

The problem (IMO) with the widebody cabs is that they lack bottom end extension. I.e., they have the typical boxy, mid heavy/choked bass sound that Boogies are known for. It's not a big deal when mic'd because the mic doesn't hear the lack of extension (my V30 loaded 1x12 open back sounds virtually identical to my Recto 4x12), but it's noticeable if you're using your cab as a monitor or you're playing an un-mic'd venue. If such is the case I recommend the Royal-Atlantic 1x12. It sounds really full and balanced but is still reasonably light. If I owned a pair of them I'd retire my Widebody cabs.

I use an open back w/c90 stacked on a ported closed back w/v30 and it sounds awesome. I have heard a lot of love lately for the RA cab. One cab would be simpler than the two I use. But it sure looks good stacked up :D

Steven Latch said:
Thanks for this very detailed answer.

What do you think explains the RA 1X12 outperforms the RA?

The RA 1x12 is basically a 2x12 enclosure with a single speaker in it. The large, 2x12 sized baffle has much more flex to it, which improves the bottom end response.

The Widebody 1x12s are a great choice if you want really small cabs and play with a band. Once the drums/bass kick in you won't notice an absence of frequencies since they'll swallow up everything that isn't midrange anyway, and like I said an SM-57 doesn't seem to care what kind of box the speaker is in.

But... if I could do it all over again I'd opt for the Royal Atlantic 1x12. I think it's a better sounding cab.

My closed back widebody is slightly louder than my combo V speaker. love the sound though espec. with the band. Cuts like a knife.

Thanks screamingdaisy. That is crystal clear.

Checking this forum, I have also become interested in Port City's 1X12 OS. I had never heard of this brand before but it does seem to deliver both a large, non-boxy sounds, while still being very compact. Plus I quite like the closed back design for the higher gains sound so it seems like I need to investigate this one further.

Following some searching and screamingdaisy's comments, it seems I will unlikely be really happy with a 1X12. The difference between an oversized 1X12 and most of Mesa's 2X12 is small enough for me to consider upgrading, and yet, the slightly larger cab should be a plus. The horizontal 2X12's are still very small compared to a 4X12 but should be more satisfying than a 1X12 in a non-miced situation.

The RA 1X12 or the Port City wave could still be options as they seem to overcome the boxiness of small speakers, but the reality is that they are really hard to find over here (Europe), while Rectifier and Road Kings 2X12 can easily be found new or second hand

I will open a new topic for some help about 2X12's

Latest posts

Back