2X12 vs 1X12 Cab impression & comments

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just to share with you a few comments about using 2 separate 112 and sonic differences.
First off, I thought I had found the Holy Grail with my 112 Mesa widebody closed back... I still feel it is the best 112 option out there if I had to pick the one. But of course, I had to push and explore and finally found a Mesa widebody opened back with a V30 after searching for 1 year (new and used).

Separately, the C90 Black Shadow is my favorite hands down. More punchy and tones are softer, clearer and bassier than the V30 IMO. Yes, the closed vs opened plays a role here. But if I mic them, the C90 does it better for me.

What I found really interesting and why I write these lines is because plugged together (toggle switched to 4ohms), those 2 speakers are pure awesomeness!!! Seriously. They really complete each other very well and -I don't know if I am dreaming- will also sound differently each on their own. I have very limited theory or electrophysics knowledge and wonder if it is because the TC50 head is set at a different ohms, or is it only a combination of sonic goodness from 2 nice speakers? My understanding is that both speakers being 8ohms needed to be paired with the amp at 4ohms to match 8ohms each from the amp (2 X 8ohms speakers = 4ohms out X 2 from the amp)... see, I am lost in theory! lol

Anyway, if you have one of these 112 speaker, do yourself a favor and try your TC50 (or any other amp) with the other speaker and see how they complete each other so well. Now I would be curious to know how 2 X 112 widebody closed back sound together...
In the meantime, I am still trying to figure if I prefer them horizontal or stacked, fun dilemma!!!

Looking forward to your comments, answers or questions

Oh and Happy New Year!
All the best & cheers

Maybe you can help me. I have a widebody 1x12 open cab with the C90. I thought it would work with the TC-50, but I don't like it that well. The TC sounds amazing through my 2x12 Petersen cab (old Marshall slant type) loaded with mid-80's Celestion G12T-75, but I was hoping the widebody would give me a good portable option. I find the cab has a low mid resonance that is annoying and that I cannot dial out. I will try swapping out the speaker for a 65w Bad Cat Celestion I have on hand.

I was thinking the closed back widebody might eliminate the offending resonance. Do you hear this low-mid thing with your open back widebody? What about the closed back? I'm very interested to know from someone who has both.

@lifebreath
(One year later...)

For sure the closed back will eliminate mids. When those 2 speakers are plugged separately (just one at a time), I find the V30 to be a lot more mid/high focused than if in a closed cab. When I play the C90 on its own in a closed cab I am not perceiving low-mid frequencies out of the 'ordinary' or anything annoying. There are a lot of factors that can cause that (pick-up types, EQ, room, etc.) but I am sure that you know that and have other speakers to compare with to make the comment.

I am very curious to know what happened once you swapped the Bad Cat 65w in or even one of your GT12T-75.

Thanks and sorry for the delays, haven't been here in a while but I will check in more often now
Cheers,

Back