!! Check out the new Toy @ Mesa Boogie!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
Justin_Blackened said:
What are the experts views on shred being a possible Mark III/triaxis mode? does it manage the fine line of a C+ reissue vs a Mark V.5 lol

I just want to point out that this isn't a C+ reissue; it's a Petrucci signature model. Shred can be whatever JP wants it to be.

Totally.

I must say I am tempted

Its a second chance ( never should have sold my MKIIC+ Simu long ago-->but MKIII should have been better-wasnt just more vesatile) you rarely get

What tempts me is backview!

rear-view-JP-2C.png

Curious??

I believe the true MK IIC+ sound,that liquidity on lead,that pick responsiveness ( and the nightmare to keep it dialed in) came from oversized transformers.And that looks like a huge transformer

Video's and Playing will tell-I am stunningly waiting

Roland

screamingdaisy said:
Justin_Blackened said:
What are the experts views on shred being a possible Mark III/triaxis mode? does it manage the fine line of a C+ reissue vs a Mark V.5 lol

I just want to point out that this isn't a C+ reissue; it's a Petrucci signature model. Shred can be whatever JP wants it to be.

I said earlier I meant a 'soft' reissue. Forgot to repeat that at the end. For all intensive purposes the JP2C is a soft reboot.

Words from Mesa hollywood website.

"JP fans know that the legendary Mark IIC+ circuits have been favorites of his. So is this amp a IIC+? YES… it’s the next generation Re-Issue of the legendary amp so many players the world over covet and search to find."
http://mesahollywood.com/products/mesa-boogie-jp-2c-head-standard-dress

So it is a reissue, but it isnt lol. Which is why I asked the question, modern tech is one thing. But would the purist shuffle in their seat if it had Mark III circuitry? Me personally I could care less, let the tone speak for itself. But with how particular people are close enough isnt good enough Id has-sad a guess they wouldnt like it, otherwise Mark III's wouldnt be so cheap because it sounds very close to the IIC+.

The good thing is imo is that because its a 'next generation reissue' and a signature amp, It allows them some breathing room todo some tweaking without everyone telling mesa not to mess with the formula. Get what I mean?

Justin_Blackened said:
The good thing is imo is that because its a 'next generation reissue' and a signature amp, It allows them some breathing room todo some tweaking without everyone telling mesa not to mess with the formula. Get what I mean?

Yes. And I agree. Part of the problem with the Mark V is that calling the modes IIC+ and IV caused everyone to compare them to an actual IIC+ and IV, then complain when they sounded different. And while people would've done that anyway, the mode names keep inviting constant comparison.

I hope this time around that marketing finds a way to make the IIC+ connection for sales reasons while writing in enough reasons for it to sound different that people can see beyond it being a reissue and are better able to accept it for what it is.

We knew it would be based on his C+'s but here he says its an exact copy of his favorite C+ SINGULAR. Take that information as you wish. IMO it means its more likely they managed to capture the magic of his favorite C+ rather than trying to blend them all together.

Now any JP experts which one is his favorite?

Dream Theater is about to release a new album which is exclusively the JP2C apparently so get a preview of how it sounds here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yhFSTAyHWs

Also a tiny 15 secs here of just some open E action lol.
https://www.facebook.com/Ernie.Ball.Music.Man/videos/vb.56037951339/10153945886531340/?type=2&theater

And last a quick WAAAAAHHHH on his new sig wah. Which I assume (pretty safe assumption right?) is the JP2C.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ56zUxpXes

As you can tell I amp dying for a demo :p (that was a conveniently punny typo which I will leave)

PS I thought we could embed videos here couldnt get it to work...

Justin_Blackened said:
We knew it would be based on his C+'s but here he says its an exact copy of his favorite C+ SINGULAR. Take that information as you wish. IMO it means its more likely they managed to capture the magic of his favorite C+ rather than trying to blend them all together.

Yes, that's what Petrucci has been saying since this model was revealed.

Just makes me wonder, since this is a 60/100, does that mean that Petrucci's personal fave IIc+ - out of that extremely enviable pile of IIc+ heads he owns - is actually a 60/100 and not a Simul?

(Not to flog a dead horse any more, I just find it interesting. Obviously there are differences between individual IIc+ units, with the power option being just one of them.)

Justin_Blackened said:
Also a tiny 15 secs here of just some open E action lol.
https://www.facebook.com/Ernie.Ball.Music.Man/videos/vb.56037951339/10153945886531340/?type=2&theater

AUUUUUUUUUUUGH
*inhales*
AUUUUUUUUUUUGH

That sounds freaking *huge*

LesPaul70 said:
Yes, that's what Petrucci has been saying since this model was revealed.

Just makes me wonder, since this is a 60/100, does that mean that Petrucci's personal fave IIc+ - out of that extremely enviable pile of IIc+ heads he owns - is actually a 60/100 and not a Simul?
(Not to flog a dead horse any more, I just find it interesting. Obviously there are differences between individual IIc+ units, with the power option being just one of them.)

I assumed it was a comibination of all his boogies to try and capture as board a spectrum of c's as possible not just his absolute favorite. But I know now. I think it was the right decision personally. Maybe trying to emulate too many c+s is what tripped the mark V up?

Would be amazing to see a demo of his favorite C+ vs the JP.

Boogie I know you're reading this. Videos now!!!!

Authorized Boogie said:
More details on the updated JP-2C product page....and yes, the demo video is coming SOON! Thanks!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/jp2c/index.html
That was a great read!

I hope the videos your doing includes a casual and raw 30min long video with JP like you did for the Mark V:25. I still listen to that occasionally to hear john play.

Mark III power transformer https://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/3402662/p2_uuu0ntlwg_ss.jpg
JP-2C power transformer http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/Amplifiers/Electric/Mark%20Series/jp2c/head/jp2c-head-back-high-rez.jpg

You can use the height of the power tubes to see the difference in the transformer sizes

Boom, baby.

it's a very interesting piece of amp!

for me it's a little too much, feature and price wise, but I think will be a big hit!

hope the demo will be as amazing as the demo with JP of the Mark 25 that demo make me choose the 25 :) thanks JP :D

A.

dlpasco said:
barryswanson said:
I'm thinking shred mode will be an extra gain stage and somehow loosen the amp up a bit but more than likely I'll be completely wrong.
Based on the Pettrucci Triaxis demo, I'm guessing that Shred mode is lifted from the Triaxis Lead 2 Red mode http://youtu.be/X_3ak_lvWmM (he demos it at 6:16).

Here's what the Mesa Triaxis Manual (http://mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/TriAxis_091007.pdf) says about Lead 2 Red mode:

LD 2 RED: This mode is made for shred. In fact, it might be better named LEAD 2 Shred. It is much more aggressive in the top end than its’ yellow counterpart, boasting much enhanced upper harmonics.
And, further down:
Lead 2
Green = Midgain / Mk IV Ld
Yellow = Classic Mk II Ld
Red = Searing Mk III Ld
So I'm guessing that the JP-2C actually let's you switch between Mark IIC+ and Mark III tones, which would be amazing if it is true and done well.

So really, it's less a matter of two IIC+s in one head, and more like the love child of his favorite Mark IIC+ and his Triaxis rig, with a huge transformer and two graphic eqs, which is why I made a down payment on one immediately.

Here's the full text of the Lead 2 Red description. It's interesting:

LD 2 RED: This mode is made for shred. In fact, it might be better named LEAD 2 Shred. It is much more aggressive in the top end than its’ yellow counterpart, boasting much enhanced upper harmonics. Though it shares almost identical basic architecture... additional parts switch in when Red is chosen that give this once balanced, well behaved mode a downright ugly attitude. Harmonics are boosted and a bit of lower treble is dipped to give this Red a sizzling edge that is unique to this mode only. The harmonic edge not only bene ts high notes...It does wonders for the grinding “Z’s” needed for bodacious low end crunch. This enhances the growl on the low strings as well as it adds cut and sizzle to the higher strings. The frequencies enhanced by this circuit are slightly higher than those found in conventional power section PRESENCE controls.They are also higher, more rebellious and de ned than those adjusted by the action of TriAxis’PRESENCE control.These highs have that out-of-control-vibe to them, that falling-apart-yet-loosely- held-together quality that is often associated with modi ed early British heads using Euro-style EL34 power tubes for their ponies. This elusive sound affects the feel of the strings and players accustomed to such sounds have dif culty feeling at home on an amp that doesn’t deliver these loose highs.

To be a complete array of guitar sounds, TriAxis had to address these classic heads. LEAD 2 Red possesses most of, if not all the qualities we mentioned. If a player still nds Red to be lacking in this history making sound, there is always the DYNAMIC VOICE control to blend in some lower lows and higher highs, while dipping the mids and jacking the bottom simultaneously. If this still isn’t exactly what turns you on...well you could go nuts, and use two TriAxis and a MESA High Gain Ampli er Switch.( see rear of this manual) Use one TriAxis in LEAD 2 Red and another TriAxis in LEAD 1 Red, then blend the two by turning them both on at once! CRAZY? Don’t laugh...you’d be surprised at the number of guys using two TriAxis’ or a TriAxis and another head simultaneously. However, this gets pretty expensive and we nd that mastering one TriAxis is enough of a challenge for anybody. Regardless, LEAD 2 Red is perfect for any part where you need focus and urgency, but want a little bit of that edge for attitude. The same hints and suggestions apply to the Red in LEAD 2 that we discussed for Green and Yellow. Work with the GAIN control carefully...check the factory preset that utilizes LEAD 2 Red.

Based on the updated JP-2C description, I think this is really IS a Mark III voicing, which excites the hell out of me:

SHRED - A NEW VOICE IN HIGH GAIN
The JP-2C incorporates a new voicing feature in the high gain Channels not present in the original MARK IIC+ LEAD Mode that further enhances the harmonic layering of the top end. This 3-position switch located to the lower right of the EQ 2 window affects only Channel’s 2 and 3 and adds an additional layer of upper harmonic content in the high gain Modes. It is especially beneficial for high gain Crunch Rhythm sounds as it lends aggression and three-dimensionality to the sound, adding a harmonic haze that rides atop the fat, grinding wall of gain.

This new voicing Mode adds even more versatility to the already powerful array of sounds in the Encyclopedia of Heavy that is the JP-2C. And with the ability to run SHRED active on one or both high gain Channels, combined with your no-compromise EQ choices, you can now craft the ultimate Crunch rhythm and Lead sounds in the same amp and switch instantly between them. Freedom!

1. Lead 2 Red on the Triaxis is said to "enhance upper harmonics" and is much more aggressive than Lead 2 Yellow (IIC mode)
2. JP uses Lead 2 Red on the Triaxis
3. The Triaxis manual says that Lead 2 Red is described as 'Shred' Mode'
4. The JP-2C features a mode called Shred
5. The JP-2C Shred mode is said to "enhance upper harmonics" and add aggression, same as the Triaxis Lead 2 Red mode
6. Lead 2 Red on the Triaxis is something JP likes
7. He requested a similar mode on his custom amp, which sounds like it does the same thing.
8. Lead 2 Red on Triaxis is described in the manual as Mark III mode

Conclusion: Shred Mode on the JP-2C is Mark III mode. Probably not called that because the Mark III is perceived as a flop, when it was, in fact, totally awesome.

dlpasco said:
Mark III power transformer https://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/3402662/p2_uuu0ntlwg_ss.jpg
JP-2C power transformer http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/Amplifiers/Electric/Mark%20Series/jp2c/head/jp2c-head-back-high-rez.jpg

You can use the height of the power tubes to see the difference in the transformer sizes

Boom, baby.

WOW that is a fair difference in size. Wish I had more experience with the older amps, I spend alot of time in the shops playing the latest and greatest but my local isnt exactly stocking III's haha.

dlpasco said:
Conclusion: Shred Mode on the JP-2C is Mark III mode. Probably not called that because the Mark III is perceived as a flop, when it was, in fact, totally awesome.
Makes perfect sense. Daisy pointed out that Calling the modes on the V by older models set them up for instant comparison to the original and was just set to fail from the get go. Smart move with shred mode todo the opposite, although kinda not really. Because if you are experienced with the triaxis you would know all about it. But I would guess your average punter wouldnt have a clue of the origins of shred.

barryswanson said:
Man Mesa are dragging their arse with the videos..
I am been foaming at the mouth for them as soon as I read 'JP2C' if a video doesnt come soon that I can watch an unnatural amount of times I am going to die of dehydration.

barryswanson said:

What I heard was that they were outed publicly over a month earlier than they expected and that they've been scrambling to get stuff together way ahead of schedule as a result.

dlpasco said:
barryswanson said:

What I heard was that they were outed publicly over a month earlier than they expected and that they've been scrambling to get stuff together way ahead of schedule as a result.

I won't dispute that! We'll have a video for you all tomorrow afternoon....thanks!

Latest posts

Back