cheaper substitute for mesa rectifier tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattFree5

Reaction score
I need an unbiased answer. I'm the market for a new amp. Just sold my line6 vetta II and I think I'm ready to go tube. I want that irresistable crunch of the mesa rectifier, was thinking maybe the single rectifier 50 watt solo, but not sure if I wanna pocket out 2000 plus. I don't know a whole lot about tube amps but is there a cheaper way to go and still get that same kinda tone. And on the same note, does the single rectifier sound like the dual? I figure since I play mostly bar gigs that 100 watts is a little much, right?

hey matt, i dunno where you live, but if you hit up the used market (in the US) you can get rectos for $1200 or cheaper... single does the recto sound just as well as a dual, maybe a hair of a different flavor, because of its more limited options. or if you want to go a different route you could go for a dual caliber. these can be had from 500-900 bucks depending on the wattage. tone is still a brutal mesa distortion but is a bit more refined and has a 5 band EQ to boot ;)

also note: don't be too skeptical of the used market, most boogie owners have taken better care of their amps than anyone at guitar center would!

You won't be able to get what you want unless you shell out about $1200. USED. Nobody ever said this was an inexpensive hobby. My wife reminds me weekly about how much I spend on my guitars and amps. :)

B-52 tri-mode rectifer. I have played one, i own a dual rec and the b-52 is very good for its price. The other guitar player in our band has one and it is great for the price. Cheap alternative for the rectifier sound
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT100-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-with-Tri-Mode-Rectifier?sku=481303

Shell out the cash... there is no substitute for the rectifier tone... go used if you have to..

dylan7620 said:
also note: don't be too skeptical of the used market, most boogie owners have taken better care of their amps than anyone at guitar center would!

On the flip side, I would think most boogie owners buy their stuff from GC.

Jeff Courtney said:
dylan7620 said:

On the flip side, I would think most boogie owners buy their stuff from GC.
do you mean amps? or other stuff? i got my blue angel from a GC but it was like $700. it just gripes me when i see an $1800 rectifier with stock tubes (probably been switched on and off a whole lot without the use of standby) and i've seen countless not pluged into a cab with kids trying to use it and wonder whats going on.

Another option is to consider the F-series. I personally like the sound of the F-50 better than the Rectifier series (still heavy but less "flub" on the bottom). The F-50 goes for around $900-1000 new.

Tube amps are a different creature than a modeler or a solid state amp... sometimes they don't sound like you expect them to by their selves, and sometimes they do?? All tube amps sound best when pushing a little volume, not blow you head off volume but gig level or a touch lower.... Don't get me wrong, they sound fine at practice levels too, but they shine at gig level and I think that's where modelers come up with the tones that you hear at low volumes.

* You can get a Dual recto used for anywhere from $850 to $1200
* You can get a Tremoverb combo (dual with verb and trem) for about the same (and you don't need a cab)
* You can get a single recto used for $650 to $1200 (if you catch 'em right)
* You can get a Rectoverb combo (single recto with verb) for about $800-$900
* You can get an F-50 used for around $800-$1000

- The B-52 is a good option
- The Genz Benz El Diablo is a good option (if you swap out the EL34's for 6L6's), they even have a 60wt combo (which I have) that sounds monsterous.
- Any of the Mark series sound great (Mark II+ C up to Mark IV)
- Peavey XXX is good, but not as versitile as any of the above amps
- Peavey JSX but not as versitile as any of the above, but better than the XXX

Thats my $.02 worth

Platypus said:
Shell out the cash... there is no substitute for the rectifier tone... go used if you have to..

+1

Before I bought my Dual Rectifier, I was trying everything I could to get the recto sound out of different amps and modeling pedal boards. I finally decided to just suck it up and kick down for the real thing.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, you could try the Randall MTS. I havn't played one so I can't say if it sounds good or not. It has a "recto" preamp module that you can buy. I don't know how much they cost, how they sound, or if you'd even be saving that much money going down that route, but it might work. But again, I would try to hold out for a recto if you can.

As others have mentioned, you could probably find a well cared for, used recto at a good savings.

MattFree5 said:
I need an unbiased answer. I'm the market for a new amp. Just sold my line6 vetta II and I think I'm ready to go tube. I want that irresistable crunch of the mesa rectifier, was thinking maybe the single rectifier 50 watt solo, but not sure if I wanna pocket out 2000 plus. I don't know a whole lot about tube amps but is there a cheaper way to go and still get that same kinda tone. And on the same note, does the single rectifier sound like the dual? I figure since I play mostly bar gigs that 100 watts is a little much, right?

Go and try recto head in the store they sound a lot better than the recto combo, go and compare. It depend on what style you play. First time I sold all my marshalls and 4X12 cabs to go with a combo then I change for a recto head with a 2X12 than I came back to the 4X12 cab nothing's better than this for heavy music :twisted:

By the way go and see on Ebay and buy from your local area if you want to save taxes and shipping,then you can retube it, it will be like new! I've sold my solo head 50 owned just since 6 months for 500$ canadian less(about 430$US) after I regret this, cause it's **** powerful for a 50watts(companies rates their amp differently).

If your into progressive rock or something like this, yeah maybe you need more channels like the B-52's... I saw here but I never heard but I read somewhere if you like the rectifier sound stick with mesa boogie nothing sound like an old good mesa boogie.

one of the nickelback guys has a B52 (he plays left channel). i heard it by itself and it sounded nice and thick...could try one out and see if you like it.

keep looking for good deals.

I got my 3 channel dual recto (it's MINT bro) for $950 BIN on ebay

I haven't heard a B52, but if you're looking for a particular sound, you may just want to save a little longer and get the real deal. I had a modeler, and you don't get the dynamics, or the liveliness of a tube amp. A tube amp will be just clearing it's throat, when the modeler is maxed out. Been there.

Also, you can get some solid deals on used equipment and get pretty much what you paid for it later, if you take care of it.

The first time you crank up with the tone you like and get your pant legs flapping, ya won't go back. (Earplugs mandatory of course. Protect your hearing) 8)

My friend has a B-52...its okay, I use it as the "don't feel like dragging my 80 lb combo up the stairs" amp....but it starts to lose something when turned up. It has tons of gain but isn't quite as smooth as the Rec. Its VERY tweakable (3 channel class A OR A/B mode) and may have some great sounds in there. My fear is that a 100 Watt 2 x12 combo for $699 has to be skimping on something and the speakers may be the obvious choice.

Brewski said:
I haven't heard a B52, but if you're looking for a particular sound, you may just want to save a little longer and get the real deal. I had a modeler, and you don't get the dynamics, or the liveliness of a tube amp. A tube amp will be just clearing it's throat, when the modeler is maxed out. Been there.

Also, you can get some solid deals on used equipment and get pretty much what you paid for it later, if you take care of it.

The first time you crank up with the tone you like and get your pant legs flapping, ya won't go back. (Earplugs mandatory of course. Protect your hearing) 8)

Basically I see it like this.

You can try all kinds of things that claim to be like said amp but there is no real subsitute for the real thing. Some amps may have a flavor of the Recto but there is not really anything out there that will completely nail it.

In tube amps, there is expensive and more expensive and even yet more expensive than that. There are a couple boutique amps that can get some of the Recto Crunch and there are some that Crunch a little harder. Some production amps may even get some fo the Recto sound. There really is nothing that you can buy though that will be 100% Recto all of the time outside of buying the Recto.

Having played this game for over 25 years with Marshall and Marshall-esque amps I can accurately tell you that you should suck it up and get what it is that makes the sound you are looking for. For example, if the sound you are looking for is a Gibson with an EMG humbucker going into a Mark IIC+ then out to Marshall cabs then buy that setup. In order to get a particular tone it is necessary to have the right gear. At the same time it is also important to note that although you may have the gear to create a particular tone it is still your hands that will establish the groove. There are so many sonic variables that come into play when dealing with guitar tone that I will just leave it at that for now.

You make too much sense....please stop posting :lol:
And I do agree with the hands thing...Santana commented that you can spend the money on Dumbles, Mesa, etc and still not sound like him.

Russ said:
Having played this game for over 25 years with Marshall and Marshall-esque amps I can accurately tell you that you should suck it up and get what it is that makes the sound you are looking for. For example, if the sound you are looking for is a Gibson with an EMG humbucker going into a Mark IIC+ then out to Marshall cabs then buy that setup. In order to get a particular tone it is necessary to have the right gear. At the same time it is also important to note that although you may have the gear to create a particular tone it is still your hands that will establish the groove. There are so many sonic variables that come into play when dealing with guitar tone that I will just leave it at that for now.

Ok--

Don't shoot me...

I eventually wound up purchasing as Triple Rectifier and am very happy with it.

But I did have in my possession briefly a Carvin V3 which was, for the money, pretty kick ***.

If i were on a tight budget I would consider that amp.

You can order from Carvin direct.

Anthony

:twisted:

Latest posts

Back