Channel 3 too muddy and missing compared to edge/crunch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
Overall, I've been the least happy with channel 3 on my Mark V. It's a love hate relationship because sometimes I find awesome tones on it, and other times it just sounds gross compared to channel 2 and 1. I've been playing funky chili pepper-esque grooves most recently using channel 1 fat and channel 2 edge/crunch and I notice that whenever I switch to channel 3, for either a change to something metal or just something thats screams a little more for leads compared to edge/crunch, It just sounds murky and just plain muddy and not present like channel 2 and 1. \

Is this because I'm not scooping enough mids out? I usually keep my middle slider about halfway between the bottom line and the middle line for a slight scoop. I just mainly want some help to get channel 3 to sound good. I've tried Mark IV and IIC+ with it so far, in triode, I'll give pentode a shot. I keep channel 1 in diode and channel 2 in tube, all at 45w at home. All the master volumes are at around 10:00-12:00 and the output is usually at around 10:30-11:00. Do my ears just need time to adjust to the change? I still discover new things about this amp all the time, maybe you guys can help.

RocknRory said:
Overall, I've been the least happy with channel 3 on my Mark V. It's a love hate relationship because sometimes I find awesome tones on it, and other times it just sounds gross compared to channel 2 and 1. I've been playing funky chili pepper-esque grooves most recently using channel 1 fat and channel 2 edge/crunch and I notice that whenever I switch to channel 3, for either a change to something metal or just something thats screams a little more for leads compared to edge/crunch, It just sounds murky and just plain muddy and not present like channel 2 and 1. \

Is this because I'm not scooping enough mids out? I usually keep my middle slider about halfway between the bottom line and the middle line for a slight scoop. I just mainly want some help to get channel 3 to sound good. I've tried Mark IV and IIC+ with it so far, in triode, I'll give pentode a shot. I keep channel 1 in diode and channel 2 in tube, all at 45w at home. All the master volumes are at around 10:00-12:00 and the output is usually at around 10:30-11:00. Do my ears just need time to adjust to the change? I still discover new things about this amp all the time, maybe you guys can help.

Triode is a little softer... richer sounding midrange and more squish on the bottom end. Pentode is harder edged with a much firmer response.

Also, try punching the treble up to somewhere between 1:00 and 2:30 while dropping the bass to somewhere around 10:00 to 11:00.

What might be worth trying out for awhile is ignore the graphic EQ and use the preset knob. It'll take some getting used to as the classic Mark tone is somewhat middy and honkey... it's meant to sound best in a band mix rather than in isolation.

Hey, I've had my Mark V for 7 months now...

The advice given so far sounds good.

I'll offer up something specific for you as well.
On Channel 3. If you feel like using the sliders, start off with the advice from ScreamingDaisy with the Treble knob at 2:00 and the Bass knob at 10:30, and find that its hard to hear what the Mid knob does on the channel so just leave at half way. Now, to get rid of murkiness... Make the scoop that you want with the Middle slider (the 750 hz) and then take the slider to the left of it (the 240 hz) and bring that one down a little past where you brought the 750. This should tighten up your sound.

Now this is just a preference of mine for recording the amp... you dont wanna have a barrage of LOW frequencies when you record it... so umm yeah,,, a biiigg cut on the 240 can be warranted. It might just work out well for you live with band as well. I would know less about that.

I would also be very careful with the Presence knob in Channel 3... I dial that in low, like below 8:00 usually... yeah, for recording of course.

Start with the EQ switch in the off position, get your basic tone in the ballpark with the tone knobs first, and then fine-tune it with the sliders. Don't use your eyes to set the tone knobs, either, use your ears. The higher you have the gain control, the lower the bass knob needs to be.

I've played my Mark V for around 3hrs yesterday and It was entirely awesome. Instead of starting on Channel 1 like normal, I played some heavy riffs on channel on mark IV triode 45w mode and later 90w. The palm mutes just sounded killer. I also jammed some dirty funk on channel 1 + 2 later. Also killer! I play in my concrete wall garage with the cab on the ground, not the best acoustics in their, actually it's pretty bad so I'm wondering what it will sound like in a room that isn't lame.

I also tried putting the Mesa 6L6s back in to compare the difference between them and the SED Winged =C= 6L6s I got a month or two ago. One of the mesa tubes redplated and started to glow and create mad hum, I was shocked. Any reason why? I popped the SED's back in and everything is back to normal. The Mesa tubes weren't failing when I removed them a while ago. Also, do you guys recommend getting a crate or something to boost my cab around 2 feet off the ground? Would that help spread the tone and simulate the sound dispersion of the top 2 speakers in a 4x12? or should I just leave it on the ground? Thanks.

Loving my Mark V. I always find metal sounds the best at 90w's, the bass has much more depth. Rock on.

Power tubes will sometimes redplate if they don't make good contact on all the pins. I've had that issue when trying to use JJ's power tubes in an older amp with worn sockets as the JJs tubes uses thinner pins. Still... that shouldn't be the issue on your end. I'd try reseating it and watch to see if it redplates again. If it does, I'd toss it. If not, I'd chalk it up to poor contact the first time around for whatever reason.

Lifting the cab certainly won't hurt... I don't think having it coupled to a concrete floor is really doing anything to help increase the bottom end, however if you do want to keep it coupled to the ground try sticking a piece of 2x4 wood under the front of it so that it has a bit of a tilt.

Latest posts

Back