Changing Tubes????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright so i own a couple of tube heads, but i am completely ignorant to this process. My rectoverb head is starting to sound kinda flat and dull and since i dont thing the tubes have been changed in about 4 or 5 years im guessing that the problem. Now i have no idea how to go about this, do i just buy some 6l6 tubes of my choice and pull the old ones out and stick in the new ones, or is there a process or what. Do i only change the 6l6 or do ichange the others as well. i know i must sound like a complete idiot but i guess i need to find out sometime, thanks for any help

4 or 5 years... I would change all the tubes.

You CAN buy any 6L6 tube, but it might night be in the bias range Mesas are set for. I would get all new Mesa Tubes or get the proper match from another brand like Ruby, JJ, etc.

parsky1 said:
4 or 5 years... I would change all the tubes.

You CAN buy any 6L6 tube, but it might night be in the bias range Mesas are set for. I would get all new Mesa Tubes or get the proper match from another brand like Ruby, JJ, etc.

I agree, change all of them . You might try EL34s if you have a bias switch

If you buy all Mesa tubes you will be fine... just replace them yourself.

It's painless, I just dropped some new Mesa tubes in my ROV. I tried the JJ's and thought they sounded too brittle. A built-in clip holds the power amp tubes in place and the preamp tubes have a cover. The tubes are keyed so they can only go in one way.

Latest posts

Back