changing tubes in ROV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Just found a curious comment from Mike Soldano
"While we're talking about tubes, I'd like to say something about all the fuss being made about changing an amp's sound by changing tubes. I get calls all the time asking what tubes someone should use for a darker sound, or a brighter sound, or whatever. The truth is, the changes you get by changing tubes are so subtle that it's hardly worth the effort. You can do much better, and have more options, by experimenting with different speakers instead. Speakers can do more to color an amp's sound than tubes could ever do."

I've been VERY pleased with the STR-454's in my ROV but honestly, the only thing I had to compare them to were bad JJ E34L's (from Eurotubes) and the old STR-440's that definitely needed replacing.

I don't buy that simply from my own personal experience. Different tubes can definetly change the tone and feel of your amp.

While his speaker comment is true, I wouldn't go as far as to say 'it's so subtle it's hardly worth the effort,' by any means.

To some, a new/different set of strings will yield the same gratification as new/different tubes!

Plat....I was surprised by that comment as well. The only reason I would even give it any validity is that Mike Soldano builds some of the best amps in the world and has been doing this for years. I have to wonder if we have a placebo effect going on when we change tubes? I've never been in the position to have many brands of he same style of tube, say 6L6's, to A/B them and really see what the difference is.

Platypus said:
I don't buy that simply from my own personal experience. Different tubes can definetly change the tone and feel of your amp.

While his speaker comment is true, I wouldn't go as far as to say 'it's so subtle it's hardly worth the effort,' by any means.

jbird.... bingo!

Raz... I think Soldano's sentiments would be different if he were selling tubes. I respect his views but I have honestly heard the differences between different power tubes and of course preamp tubes. Granted it is hard to A/B the same amp with different tubes in it but you can tell significant changes immediately. It is not something to be taken as hype. Do a blind comparison with obviously different tubes and have someone else change out or not change out the tubes in your amp. You 'll be able to tell provided you listen to your amp. He just may be accustomed to high grade tubes or using the same tubes all the time. He may just not have as sensitive an ear either for tube flavors. Speaker changes are night and day though too and more dramatic than tube changes. I would definitely be able to tell if someone took the Mullards out of my Marshall or the GEs out of my Mark IV. So I agree with Platypus....

BTW read Myles' studies on tubes...

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/12ax7.html

Back