Changing speakers in Genz Benz 2X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

congalocke

Reaction score
I have two Mesa Boogie 1X2's closed backs with 90W Black Widow Celestions and after reading about the Genz Benz 2X12 am really leaning towards purchasing it.

My question...or poll maybe is:

Should I swap both of the Eminence speakers in my future Genz Benz with the Celestions.

I will be driving it with my 2:90 Simul....being fed of course with a Triaxis...flavored with a G-Force:)

All educated opinions wanted!

Peace
conga

Difficult to tell. This depends on the sound you want as opposed to the sound you get from the Genz Benz. Note that the sound depends on the cabinet as well as the speakers, not to mention your amp, settings, guitars, effects, length of guitar cord etc. etc. Is this an open back, closed back, or closed back ported cabinet?

Eminence makes some good speakers. If you want a different sound, you can easily purchase one of the many Patriot or Redcoat series speakers to tweak the highs, mids or lows compared to the stock speakers in the Genz Benz. See the Eminence web site for descriptions, Thiele parameters and frequency plots. Do you know which Eminence speakers come with the Genz Benz?

In my set up I think the C90 tends to sound a little dark (LSS, open back 1x12), but it probably is not valid to generalize my opinion to the Genz Benz cabinet and your rig and tastes.

Anyway, just give it a try. In the end sound is subjective. You may even like one C90 and one Eminence in the Genz Benz if the speaker efficiencies are not too different.

Why are you leaning towards the Genz Benz? The cabinet design/construction or the speakers? Why not consider different speakers in the Mesa cabs?

jbird,

I am going for cabinet design. Heard that it was a great cab...tight low end and versitle so.....There is a little bit of vanity in that I loooove the way it looks so it seems like a winner on all fronts!

Thanks
conga

I'm running my TriAxis into a Genz Benz Lynch 2x12
and a Mesa Recto 2x12. The GFlex is brighter sounding
and complements the Recto cab in spades. I usually
run the volume on the Recto side a bit higher(not by much)
to offset the brightness and higher mid's of the Genz Benz.
I had the grill off last month to do some routeen
dusting and I cant remember what model Eminence(the back and frame are painted black) is in there.
The tighter low end projected by the cab being ported is a
nice mix to the Recto's deeper,more "sub" sounding design.
Are you keeping your 1x12 cabs? I think the GFlex and the pair
of Boogie cabs will make you grin.

prs1999 said:
I'm running my TriAxis into a Genz Benz Lynch 2x12
and a Mesa Recto 2x12. The GFlex is brighter sounding
and complements the Recto cab in spades. I usually
run the volume on the Recto side a bit higher(not by much)
to offset the brightness and higher mid's of the Genz Benz.
I had the grill off last month to do some routeen
dusting and I cant remember what model Eminence(the back and frame are painted black) is in there.
The tighter low end projected by the cab being ported is a
nice mix to the Recto's deeper,more "sub" sounding design.
Are you keeping your 1x12 cabs? I think the GFlex and the pair
of Boogie cabs will make you grin.

+1 to above.... Try the G-Flex's they are amazing. Especially when you have some volume behind you. The clarity, chunk, and tight chord thumps will make you look at that little thing and say WTF?

Guitarzan said:
+1 to above.... Try the G-Flex's they are amazing. Especially when you have some volume behind you. The clarity, chunk, and tight chord thumps will make you look at that little thing and say WTF?

LMAO That is exactly what I said when I jammed on the GB for the first time. I just looked at it and had a huge grin on my face. My wife was laughing at me cause I was like "WTF?" :shock:

I don't think the Gflex needs a speaker change at all? The stockers sound nice paired with my Dual Rec.

congalocke said:
I have two Mesa Boogie 1X2's closed backs with 90W Black Widow Celestions and after reading about the Genz Benz 2X12 am really leaning towards purchasing it.

My question...or poll maybe is:

Should I swap both of the Eminence speakers in my future Genz Benz with the Celestions.

I will be driving it with my 2:90 Simul....being fed of course with a Triaxis...flavored with a G-Force:)

All educated opinions wanted!

Peace

conga

Why would you buy a GB

Get an oversized 2x12 Bogner

I'm gonna take a swag and say that the folks who are asking "Why buy a GB"? Have never tried one. Believe me when you take one out to a gig for the first time and get some volume out of it...you'll be a changed person!

SteveP said:
Guitarzan said:

LMAO That is exactly what I said when I jammed on the GB for the first time. I just looked at it and had a huge grin on my face. My wife was laughing at me cause I was like "WTF?" :shock:

I don't think the Gflex needs a speaker change at all? The stockers sound nice paired with my Dual Rec.

Amen Brother!

Back