Changing preamp tubes in a Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
I read two different things regarding this procedure.

One is that if you remove all the preamp tubes at once and put new ones in and turn it on this will cause lots of problems. They say instead to change them one by one... The only thing I could find in the manual was Mesa's recommendation to diagnose tube problems one by one, nothing about changing.

I was under the assumption that you could just turn off the amp, remove all the preamp tubes and put the new ones in the right sockets just like you do for power tubes and it will work just fine.

Suggestions?

When I changed mine, I put them all in at the same time. I've done this on several amps when I have replaced preamp tubes - typically on used amps where I don't know how the tubes have been treated. Its never been a problem.

i agree, I, and many friends have replaced whole sets on many different amps with no problems whatsoever.

That's what I thought.. no idea why people are saying this isn't true.

Thanks!

jbird said:
Platypus said:

Thanks!
It would be true if you are trying to find a bad tube!

+1 If you're changing them all just go for it...wont hurt anything. Did you get a set from Bob along with those GZ34's? Just put the balanced one in V5, the regular one in V4, and the hi-gains in V1,2,3.

NoGlassNoClass said:
jbird said:
Platypus said:

Thanks!
It would be true if you are trying to find a bad tube!

+1 If you're changing them all just go for it...wont hurt anything. Did you get a set from Bob along with those GZ34's? Just put the balanced one in V5, the regular one in V4, and the hi-gains in V1,2,3.

About to order them actually yes. The GZ34s were delightful and I like the JJ power section I have so I figure why not, 50 bucks isn't that much for gear experimentation :)

Latest posts

Back