Changing 6L6 on Dual Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paprikajancsi

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I'm a Dual Rectifier owner from Italy. It is time for me to change my 6L6 tubes, and I'm getting mad in trying to find what tubes I shall buy. I have 6L6 GC STR 430 color green on my head. I found several 6L6 GC STR 430 Mesa marked, but all of different colour: if I want to change only two, can I use different colour? can I match red with green or yellow. I really did not undrstand what colour means, also because Mesa spare catalogue does not mention the possibility to chose colour...And if I would like to go with 440 tubes? I know that bias is fixed, so i'm a bit messy in my mind in trying to findout the solution. please help me guys!!!
thanx :D

The colors mean that they're a matched set, you're suppose to get the best results from a matched quad but I've ran 2 different colors in my triple recto before with no problems. It shouldn't harm you amp, and I probably couldn't tell a difference in the tone but some may notice the difference.

That's my $.02 worth, someone may chime in and totally disagree with me but I had no problems with it.

thanks! the problem is that i cannot find a matched quad. I found two matched duets only, one duet green (as mine are), and one yellow. I don't know if stsrting to change two tubes with the green ones i found and expect to find the other two, or to buy yellow also and change them all. the recto starts to loose volume on clean, and gain on channels 2&3, and one tube seems switched off (no light inside)...

As mentioned above, a matched quad is preferred, but if you must mix colors, they would match in pairs, two outside, two inside. (Green>Yellow>Yellow>Green).

Latest posts

Back