Single Rectifier Series 2 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatya80

Reaction score
hi!

I just want to replace my old tubes and i'd like to ask you to what types of tubes should i buy for my single rec solo 50 series 2 head.
Music style is melodic punk like No Use For a Name, Rufio, Lagwagon, etc.
I use Mesa 6L6 STR 440-s and SPAX7-s (V1-V5) for 20 years and i like how it sounds but i don't know any other tubes (factories, types).

I would be interested to know what tubes would be best for this style to get the most out of the amp. (quality and long lasting are important too!)
If my setup is right, i don't want to change it but if there are better (or better to my music style) than these, i'm open to change it.

Thank You in advance!

Gabor

Stick with MESA tubes, they have new varieties available and the test them and guarantee them. :lol: . The SPAX is underrated as far as new tubes go. I measured the SPAX at 90%+ most of the time when I check tubes and rarely are they harmonic.

I have a Single Rectifier Series 2, and I just replaced all the Mesa tubes with JJ branded tubes. If you order them from a good supplier, they will be sure and give you tubes that are properly biased for your amp and will work fine and sound great. Tone is all subjective. I bought a re-tube kit for the Single Rec Series 2, and a matched pair of EL34's as well, so that I can switch between the 6L6 and EL34 tubes if and when I so desire. All 5 of my preamp tubes are JJ ECC83S's. I love the way my amp is sounding now with the JJ's, in both the 6L6 and EL34 modes. It's amazing. I love the guys at Tube Depot. They also burn in the tubes properly so that when you get them you can just pop them in and you are ready to go. Of course, if JJ's arent your thing, they have MANY other options as well.

Keep in mind that there are only THREE tube manufactures out there anymore these days and most tubes INCLUDING MESA tubes, are just re-branded. Meaning another company makes the tubes and they are re-branded with a different name (Ruby, Mesa, Marshall, etc).

Latest posts

Back