Changed tubes in my T-Verb combo and bass thump is gone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbmesa

Reaction score
I changed the power tubes in my T-Verb combo from the stock MESAs to TAD 6L6 GC - STR and my bass response seems SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I used to be able to "chuga-chuga" with this amp and get amazing bass thump response out the 2x12 combo but now I have the bass up at 3 o'clock and it still does not equal the bass response with the Mesa tubes. Can power tubes affect bass response that much ? Or does Bass response depend more on preamp tubes ?

You sure something else isn't going on? Those TAD's have more thump than alot of 6L6 tubes out there.

I guess I have to start looking at preamp tubes then. I can also check the bias current and voltage on the power tubes (using a Bias-Rite) to make sure the tubes are in spec for a Mesa. I got them from Doug's tubes so I don't expect it to be a problem.

I'll start swapping out pre-amp tubes and see if I can get the bass response back. Any particular pre-amp tube have the biggest effect on tone ? I guess V1 might be it. I currently have a tung sol reissue in there.

Did you change the preamp tubes? If you only changed the power tubes, and then the tone changed, then it's the power tubes, not the preamp tubes.

fluff191 said:
You sure something else isn't going on? Those TAD's have more thump than alot of 6L6 tubes out there.
+1 TAD's= lots of bass!!!!!!!!

try putting back the original power tubes :wink: and if everything goes back to normal, then you can assume that you got a bad batch of TAD's from your supplier!!!!!

good luck

mbmesa said:
I changed the power tubes in my T-Verb combo from the stock MESAs to TAD 6L6 GC - STR and my bass response seems SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I used to be able to "chuga-chuga" with this amp and get amazing bass thump response out the 2x12 combo but now I have the bass up at 3 o'clock and it still does not equal the bass response with the Mesa tubes. Can power tubes affect bass response that much ? Or does Bass response depend more on preamp tubes ?

Simply being nosey and trying to find some information.
Did you change tubes because they were worn out, or did you read a post and
spend some money just to try something different?
thanks
/cheers

Latest posts

Back