Change of Transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denrad

Reaction score
I've got a Black Dot Mark III. It's got the same Worldwide Voltage Tranny as my Mark 2C+.

I may get someone to install this tranny (from the Mark III) into my 117 volt equipped (other) Mark 2C+, to enable 240 volt operation.

Is this a straight forward thing for a tech to do. Are there any risks involved?

And would fitting another (a Mesa 561141 Transformer) tranny into the Mark III change the tone or feel drastically?

Is anyone familiar with this Mesa 561141 Transformer?

I only bought this Mark III recently. I find it not to be as bright/warmer than the Mark 2C+, which can be a good thing, depending on my mood.

But the clean channel on the Mark 2C+ owns! And the lead channel of the 2C+ is more responsive!

The plate voltage on the X101 is about 20-30V lower than the 105 without a load, so it may make the amp a bit darker and may have a bit more thickness to the tone. You may lose a small amount of attack. Any competent tech should be able to swap transformers. The bias resistors will also need to be changed due to the drop in plate voltage. The 561141 should be pretty close voltage wise that you can do a swap into the MK III. It's voltages are around 460-470V, much like the X101.

Thanks Boogiebabies. You know your stuff!

Is the 561141 tranny commonly used with the Mark III's? If so which stripes were they used with?

So the 561141 isn't a bad replacement for the back dot Mark III? Is it a switchable voltage tranny? And is there a better replacement tranny for this amp?

For years, I was considering getting the 105 tranny re-wired for 240 voltage. How risky would this be to the tone of the Mark 2C+?

Much appreciated!
:D

The 561141 is the export MK IV transformer. I do not think it was ever used on the MK III. IIRC, the MK III Export was the 561100 but I doubt you will find one. The 105 cannot be rewired for 240V.

Dude i have a 561100 240volt which is from a early mk III and i need a 240 volt mk IV transformer???

Are you catching my drift???

Tom

Yeah i bought it alittle while ago.i was going to put it into my mk IV but i changed my mind because i would lose the tweed function.. I also have a 105 out of my C+ and a 110volt out of #503 dual recto!

Hey Tom,

I sent you a PM.

I recall seeing different size trannys being used in the Mark III series. How does the 561100 compare to the others?

And, would anyone be interested swapping an X101 tranny for my 105?

Denis

Latest posts

Back