Change in Taste: Recto vs. Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platypus said:
After having both, the only thing I'd really miss of the DR is the heavy aggresive 'recto' sound. The problem for me is that its usefulness just went down in a huge way as I use my Stiletto for practically everything else. Hard to justify keeping an amp around for ONE sound when there are so many other amps out there I want to own, namely a Mark IV head.

That is funny because I am wanting some of that exact one sound that I can't get with my Mark IV that the DR gets. I get enough of the rest of the Stiletto tones I would want with a real Marshall or two depending upon the sound but still need to be able to get my DR fix. Is it wrong to want an amp for one sound? It becomes like a very expensive stomp box that way... I kept my JCM800 for that very purpose.

And yes, the Lead channel on the Mark IV is noteworthy...

Well I guess I'll jump in here. I've got both, Stiletto 1 and a 1991 MKIV. Been playin for a thousand years, and heard tons of guitar tones come and go like the flavor of the week, but here is what happened to me.... I was working in a music store and got to play everything there. One day I was playin a Peavey classic 50 4x10, cool amp. Anyway the guy I worked with whos guitar knowledge and opinion I respected, told me he couldn't here my guitar,so I turned the amp up. He sayed, no that's not what I meant.... you use so much distortion that all I can hear is the amp, not the guitar. I thought he was stupid, even though I respected his words. Years later when I was in one of those slumps that we all get in with our tone, that quest for better tone, I flashed back on what he said and I started turning down the gain and the VOLUME up.....Holy **** I COULD HEAR THE GUITAR and it sounded freaking great. All those notes would blossom into harmonic bliss. Thats what got me hook on my Stiletto, it doesn't have all that gain to cover up the notes, they designed it like that and I like it , like it alot. I feel sorry for the kids today, they can't play on the D,G,and B strings to save their lives, use way to much gain and are really missing 75% of what a guitar can do. So in short I am glad to see the tide changing, I think the future of rock may depend on it!

I agree. There's a lot of crap that's out there these days with guitar oriented music. No soul and no feel, but all thrashing, noise with bunch of antics. The sad thing is it sells, but that doesn't mean it's any good. But, heck if you're a rebellious teenager the world is distorted and full tilt distortion tone is food. LOL.

I think the Stiletto manual recommends not turning the preamp knob all the way . . . somewhere.

For me, the preamp goes at best 3 o' clock, but usually go b/w 1 and 2 pm. As a guitarist the above knowledge or revelation comes with age and maturity. I'm getting old. 8)

Back