Celesiton V30 in Mark IV combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliebert

Reaction score
So I used to have a Mesa Mark IV combo that I loved dearly, and would play through a recto 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s. Unfortunately I had to sell it and have been scouring every music store in my area to replace it (no luck so far, likely going to have to go the eBay route...)

I Don't really gig anymore but I much preferred the sound of the 2x12 V30 cab to the stock speaker in the combo, I am likely to have any problems if I get another Mark IV combo and replace the speaker with a V30? (I ask because the V30 speaker is rated at 60 watts while the amplifier is 85, not sure how that works.)

So I'd love to have just a combo sized mark IV with the v30, but if this is going to kill the speaker, what would you guys recommend instead? Could I use the standard black shadow in the combo and a 1x12 extension cab with a v30 at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

...sorry, and one more maybe naive question after reading around here a bit more, if putting a v30 into the combo does indeed risk damage to the amp, would not using the 'full power' setting but instead tweed reduce or eliminate that risk?

Using lower power rating would definitely help, as it bumps down the wattage of the amp.

I much preferred my Mark IV with V30s when I had it.

If you don't push your amp to crazy levels, you should be just fine. V30s are tough speakers.

The difference that you heard was more than likely an open back vs. closed back cabinet issue. Get a short head and a 1x12 thiele if you want portability and a closed back cabinet sound. :D

thanks for the input guys, appreciate it! It sounds like I'd be best off with a head and a 1x12 closed back v30 cab instead of a combo. (this is an interesting thread though, still open to anyone else's opinions!)

well guys, my 1x12 rectifier cab with v30 arrived today and it sounds INCREDIBLE (to my ears anyway.)

C90 alone = mediocre sound
C90 + v30 = awful
V30 alone = everything i've ever wanted

Inidentally, if anyone wants to trade their Mark Series head shell for my Mark IV combo body shell in the San Francisco area, let me know :)

Latest posts

Back