Carvin CT6 -vs- PRS Singlecut

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
Does anyone have both? I am considering a beautiful artist PRS but the Carvin is an option and LESS expensive. Can anyone give some personal insight. I am tired of reading the online reviews.

Thanks

Kinda sux that you can't just run to your local Guitar Center and try one out, huh?!?
Those California Carved tops with the quilted maple look pretty **** sweet. I'd sure like to know how they feel, and how they sound pumping through a Recto.

I paid a visit to the Carvin factory during my family visit to San Diego. I got to play all their models, and amps:

My overall impression:

They are a well built company, and many compare them to PRS as they look very similar, and carry a much smaller price tag.

After playing them, I wasn't so impressed. The built was good, but the feel and overall tone was lacking IMO. Pups were poor, and the guitars just didn't sit with me. I came back home and was much happier with the Ibanez SZ520 I owned then.

Now, I am a very proud owner of a 20th Anniversary PRS Singlecut, and there is not guitar out there that can touch it. Sustain is endless....tone is fat and warm, and the feel puts a Carvin to shame.

Don't get me wrong....Carvin makes great products at the price, but when you're willing to go over a grand for a guitar, save up a little more and go for the PRS....they are far superior.

With the current market, I have seen some singlecut go as low as $1500.....a steal IMO.

Thanks for the input. I have a Tremonti Tribal and it sounds great but I don't really like the "Tribal" part of it. It looks very cool but it isnt something that I would play out. I was sort of hoping it would bring some good cash in the long run so I want to keep it in tip-top condition.

How would you compare the PRS 7's to the Tremonti pu's? I consistently hear that the Carvin pu's aren't very good and who wants to change pu's on a new guitar!

My friend has a Carvin and loves his. I thought it was alright, but I'm a PRS guy too. The neck and weight of the Carvin was nice, but I like my PRS CU 24 ann . I have to agree that if you are willing spend over a grand get the PRS Singlecut, or a VOS LP 57 or 58. I got my PRS because I kept creeeeeping up over the 1K mark and just said "F" it and bit the bullet. Another side note is if you decided to sell the Carvin, you'd be lucky to get 1/2 what you paid for.

Bruce Dickenson said:
Another side note is if you decided to sell the Carvin, you'd be lucky to get 1/2 what you paid for.

Good point! I'm going in for PRS. Thanks for all the input. I may pich her up today.

Here is a quick pic of the new beauty. Artist package, it plays like a dream!

PRS-06SnglCtAtstQltTrtsShll.jpg

[/url]

WOW. Beautiful top. IMO nobody makes a better looking top than PRS. I haven't played a singlecut yet, but seeing yours makes me want to. Great purchase, where'd you get it?

Bruce Dickenson said:
WOW. Beautiful top. IMO nobody makes a better looking top than PRS. I haven't played a singlecut yet, but seeing yours makes me want to. Great purchase, where'd you get it?

I purchased it from a small shop called 'Classic Axe' in Gainesville Va. He has most of his guitars on their web page: www.classicaxe.com

They had a private stock guitar that was just silly.....wasn't my cup of tea but the craftsmanship was outa this world(so was the price) Those guitars are truly just pieces of art.

I used to have a CE24 and didn't like it because of the neck profile and the 5-way rotary dial. This singlecut is amazing, I am very pleased with the purchase. Thanks to all for the helpful thoughts in helping me to decide to go the PRS route :D

I would take the Carvin CT-6 over a PRS Custom 22. I found that the Carvin had better quality -- more attention to detail in the paint job/finish. I also found the setup on the PRS wasn't as nice -- too much slack in the strings for my taste, whereas the CT-6 had a superb setup right from the start.

If the CT-6 sold at retail, it would cost as much as the good PRS models.

As for the resale value, that's an old myth. Shop for a used CT-6 on eBay and you're not going to find it losing any more value than a recent model PRS.

Plus, with the Carvin, you get a custom shop guitar built with your specs on the neck, the finish, and the hardware. AND you get to try it out at home for a week and return it if you're not happy.

I've owned a few Carvins over the years and they're great guitars. If you don't like their pickups, you can always swap them out later.

Here's the review I wrote on the CT-6M guitar for more details:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitar_bass/2006/0106_carvinct6m.php

Scott

scottkahn said:
I would take the Carvin CT-6 over a PRS Custom 22. I found that the Carvin had better quality -- more attention to detail in the paint job/finish. I also found the setup on the PRS wasn't as nice -- too much slack in the strings for my taste, whereas the CT-6 had a superb setup right from the start.

If the CT-6 sold at retail, it would cost as much as the good PRS models.

As for the resale value, that's an old myth. Shop for a used CT-6 on eBay and you're not going to find it losing any more value than a recent model PRS.

Plus, with the Carvin, you get a custom shop guitar built with your specs on the neck, the finish, and the hardware. AND you get to try it out at home for a week and return it if you're not happy.

I've owned a few Carvins over the years and they're great guitars. If you don't like their pickups, you can always swap them out later.

Here's the review I wrote on the CT-6M guitar for more details:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitar_bass/2006/0106_carvinct6m.php

Scott

Nice review, I had read it earlier. Did you end up keeping that guitar? She looks like a beauty!

No, I ended up parting with it a few months ago because at the time I needed money for some other gear and had other guitars that I used more frequently, so it was the one I had to part with. I will probably end up with another CT-6M though -- I really think it's an outstanding guitar that is very different than my Music Man and Ibanez guitars, and I still prefer it to the PRS Custom 22.

I'd really love for Carvin to develop a piezo option for it. Maybe they'll show this at NAMM in a few weeks.

I may alternately get a Carvin Countour 66, which is a beautiful strat-type body that can have a piezo system. I'll be checking those out at NAMM too. We may have to review one of them -- I haven't heard many people talk about it.

scottkahn said:
No, I ended up parting with it a few months ago because at the time I needed money for some other gear and had other guitars that I used more frequently, so it was the one I had to part with. I will probably end up with another CT-6M though -- I really think it's an outstanding guitar that is very different than my Music Man and Ibanez guitars, and I still prefer it to the PRS Custom 22.

I'd really love for Carvin to develop a piezo option for it. Maybe they'll show this at NAMM in a few weeks.

I may alternately get a Carvin Countour 66, which is a beautiful strat-type body that can have a piezo system. I'll be checking those out at NAMM too. We may have to review one of them -- I haven't heard many people talk about it.

Ref. the Carvin, I read the last few Harmony-Central reviews and they weren't very favorable. That being said, there are always a few piss poor guitars made, even from reliable companies. I used to have a CE24 PRS and didn't care for it. This Singlecut is a way different feeling guitar to that CE24

Let us know about the NAMM show. I would love to go and see all the new stuff!

You actually believe the user reviews?

I know too many employees of manufacturers who post to those, either saying a piece of gear from their company is "the best kazoo I've ever played" or reviewing their competitors' products negatively.

Then, there's the other percentage of reviews posted by young, inexperienced musicians who don't have actual experience or expertise with products. "It doesn't play as well as my $99 Squier."

I used to be a fan of those forums -- it's a great idea, and one I've thought about trying to implement, but there's no accountability. The anonymity of the Internet is also what limits the value of the information you get from various online sources.

That's why we as "more serious" players need to rely on:
1. Posts in a higher class of forums, like at The Boogie Board.
2. Objective, formal product reviews from reputable publishers, like, um... MusicPlayers.com!

Seriously, that's a huge part of why I started the online magazine -- because there is so little objective and unbiased product information on the Internet, and the print magazines don't spend enough time really going in depth with pro-level gear. Plus, some of them have had questionable integrity. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how some of them issue their editor's awards for products without any standardized, objective product testing.

:p

Latest posts

Back