Can't believe how loud the 20/20 is

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Just picked one up from the classified's here to run with my Axe FX.

I expected it to be loud. However I did not expect it to be that loud.

I am running a single channel through a 1960A cab. I had figured I would need to run both channels in stereo through the cab to keep up with a drummer. I never expected that a single channel would be able to keep up.

For me the only requirement volume wise is that it hang easily with a drummer, and that it definitely does.

I read a fair bit about it before I picked it up. I don't have the deep mod. I know some have complained about the lack of low end without the deep mod. If I am running a recto or ubershall patch, I get a lot of low end (what to me is a lot of low end).

Will probably do the deep mod once I pickup some push pull volume knobs.

Just surprised such a light weight low watt power amp could be so **** loud

I hear that! I have a TriAxis running into it and it sounds amazing and loud. I don't have the deep mod either but there is no shortage of bottom driving either my stereo 4x12 cab or two 1x12s.

I used to run an 80 watt MosValve and the 20/20 is unbelievably louder and way punchier. The guys in the band could not believe it was only 20 watts the first time I brought it to rehearsal. You gotta love the magic that Mesa creates.

How does it compare with Marshall's EL84 20/20 equivalent? Anyone got any experience with that?

r_cod_81 said:
How does it compare with Marshall's EL84 20/20 equivalent? Anyone got any experience with that?

Everything I have read says the Marshall 20/20 also sounds excellent. But one big difference between the 2 is that the Mesa 20/20 does not need to have both channels hooked up. You can just run one channel and as long as you turn the volume to zero and the presence to ten on the unused channel, it works fine (I throw a THD hotplate set to load on my unused channel just to be extra carefull).

You'll fry the Marshall if you try that.

Aye I knew that (easily solved w/ a stereo cabinet) and it'll give you a 40W of O/P.

I was really wondering how loud is it compared to the Mesa? Can it keep up with a drummer? It seems that one side of Mesa's 20/20 is more than capable, I was wondering if the Marshall can match this?

Here is a thread about just that

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/30614-mesa-20-20-vs-marshall-el84-20-20-a.html

Also, once you're ready for the deep mod (which is easy) you should just wire in a toggle switch so that you can go between the modded and original. It's easy and makes it nice to have the option of each.

20/20 is very loud indeed. I Remember the 2;90 could handle lower volume levels better. It sounded better then then the 20/20 and bigger.

Back