Can the Stiletto do Metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scolli

Reaction score
:D :D :D :wink:

No, seriously!

I've been listening to some old Ozzy lately Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde stuff and I'm pretty certain they primarily use Marshalls. I was wondering if the ACE/Deuce has enough gain/sustain to get close enough to those tones and other high-gain 80's metal tones. I have a roadster for the modern metal and was looking for something different and I don't want to buy a Marshall.

Thx!

I think so. I don't think it can do the scooped out nu-metal sound, but there are a few clips on this board that illustrate the Stiletto's abilities.

Scolli, lockbody just bought a Stiletto to replace his Roadster. He plays "thrash metal" or something to that effect :)P) and I think he's super happy with it so far.

Having spent some time with a Deuce, I am gonna go on the record and say it'll certainly do what you're looking for. It's got gobs of gain.

It depends on your definition of metal, but it does the 80s marshall on crack sound in spades.

scolli said:
:D :D :D :wink:

No, seriously!

I've been listening to some old Ozzy lately Jake E Lee, Zakk Wylde stuff and I'm pretty certain they primarily use Marshalls. I was wondering if the ACE/Deuce has enough gain/sustain to get close enough to those tones and other high-gain 80's metal tones. I have a roadster for the modern metal and was looking for something different and I don't want to buy a Marshall.

Thx!

This amp was made to nail that sound. Buy it. 70's to "Lockbody", it does it all for me. It's everything I ever wanted in a Marshall and never got with any that I owned.

(Warning - I liked mine so much I sold my Roadster. :D )

phyrexia said:
Scolli, lockbody just bought a Stiletto to replace his Roadster. He plays "thrash metal" or something to that effect :)P) and I think he's super happy with it so far.

Something to that effect. :p

Yeah, very happy.

Having spent considerable time with an Ace combo, I'm seriously considering it to replace my TripleRec, and I *definitely* play metal. So, yeah, no problems with that - it sounds like a bad-*** high-gain modded Marshall, and if that isn't metal, I don't know what is. ;)

Of course it can do metal. The Stiletto is Mesas response to the Marshall sound and I have seen a few Marshalls in the lineups of a few metal bands

Thanks for the info.

I'm considering an ACE head (or combo??) because it's a few dollars cheaper than the Deuce and I don't really need extra headroom. Do you think the ACE will work as well for metal as the Deuce? I have heard that they are the same amp (voicing) except for the 100W mode on the Deuce.

scolli said:
Thanks for the info.

I'm considering an ACE head (or combo??) because it's a few dollars cheaper than the Deuce and I don't really need extra headroom. Do you think the ACE will work as well for metal as the Deuce? I have heard that they are the same amp (voicing) except for the 100W mode on the Deuce.

Yes, and you will get power tube saturation quicker with 50 less watts to blow through.

rabies said:
why are there so few Stiletto stage 2 amps for sale on eBay? is it that everybody loves them and wants (but even Mark iv's are always on eBay)?

or little demand?

Good question! I've been looking daily for the last two weeks and have not seen a single one...a few stage-I's show up here and there.

rabies said:
why are there so few Stiletto stage 2 amps for sale on eBay? is it that everybody loves them and wants (but even Mark iv's are always on eBay)?

or little demand?

Why sell? They sound great.

I don't imagine Mesa builds as many Stilettos as Rectos (style) either. Probably not a ton of demand for a "Mesa - Marshall". Mark IVs have been around so long there's always going to be several at any time on ebay.

If you are getting one for metal you are probably better off getting a Stage II. Unfortunately I almost never see them for sale used... and when they do pop up they are usually a good deal more $ than the Stage I.

You probably don't need 100 watts but if you find a used Deuce that you want I wouldn't pass it up because of it. That's one of my favorite things about these amps is that the power section has so many options.

i have a stage ll deuce ,and i love it .it will do metal no problem.a bit more tweakin and ill have an old skool thrash tone going,i may have to use my bbpreamp pedal to help me along, but what a great amp.i never play my tremoverb anymore.

Scoli,

You're more than welcome to bring your guitar and cab over to my house and play my Stiletto II if you want. I've got a studio set up in my basement so you can turn it up to really hear it.

My band is really loud and I'm constantly amazed the fact my daughter can sleep through it. :lol:

PM me if you're interested. Most early-evenings and weekends are good. I can even supply painfully bad drumming courtesy of yours truly.

Bob

I'm curious. Don't you think that you can get those sounds tweaking the british voicing on channel 2 of the Roadster. I found if you max the channel master it will definitely kick the gain in the pants on that channel. Same with the Tweed setting on channel 1.

skoora said:
I'm curious. Don't you think that you can get those sounds tweaking the british voicing on channel 2 of the Roadster. I found if you max the channel master it will definitely kick the gain in the pants on that channel. Same with the Tweed setting on channel 1.

No.

skoora said:

I've done a lot of tweaking, but never dimed the masters on those two channels to see if could get those sounds. I'll give it a shot, but I think the EL34's are the major diff. I may also try some EL34's in the roadster. Whatever the outcome I've got a feeling that my GAS is going to get the best of me!

:p

Latest posts

Back