Can the MK1 handle todays music world......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
..........and i dont mean that in terms of does it sound as good as other amps. What i mean is, would it still be possible for a guitarist (not me lol) to burst onto the music scene with great new Tones and style using a MK1?

Could it be possible that (for example) a MK1 combined with a MXR dime distortion creates a Monster distortion that has never been heard, lurking there for ages undiscovered?

Maybe mixing the MK1 with one of todays new T-Rex Delay pedals and a Big Muff could create sounds nobody has heard before?

All in All...........Does this Amp still offer unique sounds to Music or is it just a well loved piece of the past?

Mark I wasn't designed to do that. But then again EVH's old Marshall wasn't designed to produce brown sound either.

Anything is only as good as what you make out of it. A gear is a gear.

Rock sound is already stagnant IMO. The only way to get around it is to make exciting tunes and melodies. Guthrie Govan anyone?

But then again EVH's old Marshall wasn't designed to produce brown sound either.

:D With a few really good tweaks and mods, any amp can become a completely new animal. It will still have most of it's original characteristics. You can still tell that early EVH was all Marshall tone, but nobody knew how he did it. He sure as hell wasn't telling right away either.

I think that tone possibilities are absolutely endless. Different guitars, pedals, cords (yeah, even cords), and most importantly, the person playing, can produce an invariable amount of tones.

The only reason that so called, 'Rock Tones,' are played out is because most people want to sound like Nickelback or Creed or whoever else is hot at the time. People are sheep.

What sets an inventive artist apart is the fact that they don't follow the trends set forth by the mediocre.

:lol: Now I sound like my dad. :lol:

The only way to judge any sound is if it sounds and feels good to you the listner/player.

From guitar to effects to amp and where you are actually playing + things I might forget to write here at this moment.

I still got my Marshall Major head from 1971 and I'm not finished using it yet. Still need to melt some more KT88 tubes I guess LOL

Then there is my 2187 Marshall 50 watt combo. I guess if I make a record that goes well the guitar players going: How are you getting that sound? Straight in hi gain. Most times a good sound does not take much fiddling about.

Do what you think sounds good. Simple really.

I think a Mark I is a great platform for creating anything you want. It has tons of power and a great tube sound. With all the different effects and overdrives available on the market I'm sure you could come up with your on unique sound using that amp.

Speaking of Mark I's, I saw this post earlier and posted my comment to the thread starter here.....

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=154294#154294

Does anyone have a take on that Amp that is for sale that JimAnsell referred to as swiss cheese? What was Jim trying to say here?

I admit I am not hip to loops and all the terminology used by the ebay seller, SO I hope someone can help me learn what JimAnsell and the seller are even talking about with a Mark I such as that 1.

Thanks

PS is $800-$900 a rip off for an amp such as this?

I use my Mark I in several different ways and feel that it still has a lot to offer. I sometimes run an MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive into the amp as a boost, this adds a little more gain and tightens up the flabby bass (I use it for Gary Moore-ish stuff).

Sometimes I run my pedalboard through the clean input, it just depends on what Im in the mood for. I am not a fan of modern rock, but I feel the amp is great for Jazz, Fusion, Classic Rock, and some 80's shred rock (with a good booster/od).

Regardless of what amp you use, you will always sound like you.

I have used a Mark IIC+ 60/100, C+ Simul Class, MKIII red stripe and a Studio .22 with a Hiwatt cab and a Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cab. I much prefer the sound of larger cabs with just about any amp but that is my bias. I didn't have large cabs when I had my MKI but I am sure that a MKI with a larger cab would get you closer to the currently popular sounds. There are also many great pedals out there to help you shape you sound.

Back