Can Recto's do death metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bermuda_ said:
Right I'll try that, but just out of interest where should I set the send/ return knobs to at the back of the amp, I was thinking of setting each of them in the middle but I'm not sure?

I have my send at 12 oclock and my mix at at 3 oclock . I only use 3 pedals in my loop. a reverb , a delay and a vibrato and I turn my loop on and off allot in every song . mix at 12 oclock is fine too. I just have it a bit wetter so my delay comes through strong enough as an in time delay is a big part of my clean sound for allot of our songs . middle for each is fine also .

You own a great amp . I fricken love my 3 channel DR . It just sounds like me . I connected with it out of all the amps I tried before buying it and I had no budget restrictions .

crank it and youll love it

Right and I take it if you aren't using any effects in the loop, it's best to bypass the loop.

Yes, Rectos can do Death Metal on their own!! I have a Single Rectifier loaded with KT77's and it can do Death Metal effortlessly. It sounds very good, but to get an even punchier and more focused tone I also put a Zoom TM01 (in front) and a BBE Sonic Stomp (effects loop) into the mix; obviously a good noise suppresor is highly required (I use an ISP Noise Decimator).

My settings are something like this:

Bass 11 o'clock.
Mid 2-3 o´clock (can't stand that "scooped mids" buls**t).
High 12-1 o'clock.
Presence 4-5 o'clock.
Master 12-1 o'clock.
Output 11 o'clock (yes, it's LOUD!!!)

My main guitar is a BC Rich Ironbird loaded with DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge) and Paf Pro (neck). I get very cool Metal sounds with that setup, as well as with my other axes (various BC Rich, Ibanez and Jackson).

Also, have in mind that there are many variants in Death Metal, so the guys swearing by 5150's (or 6550's for that matter) are maybe after a sound similar to some European band such as Dismember, Entombed, Bloodbath or At The Gates.

There are others that are pure Recto such as Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation or Amon Amarth.

And for the Mashall guys (or Rectos with EL34's) there's Morbid Angel and Obituary, to name some.

In conclusion, it's a matter of tweaking and using your ears. :wink:

YellowJacket said:
bermuda_ said:
If you have a 4x12 Oversized Mesa cab, how loud do you need to turn the volume of the amp up, in order to get the speakers working properly?

LOOOUUUDDDD!!!!!

I have a two channel Dual and I feel like the amp and cab hits the sweet spot about 1/3 on the volume. I'm not sure what that translates into with a three channel amp but lets just say you need a rock drummer and a bassist to justify hitting those levels. The amp doesn't sound 'bad' lower but it goes from 'kinda good' to 'blows your drawers off amazing' with a small crank of the knob!

Loud is required for it to work up a bit of a sweat. I bought a single REC Solo 50 head on the advice of many other musicians, F2F and online. Was a good move. Even through "only" a 2x12, with a measly 50 watt head, it is etremely loud to get into the mojo zone.

I would think about 1x12 cab on the lowest power setting, crank it as much as you, your earplugs, and neighbors can tolerate. When you right kidney is copping a sympthetic vibration to an open E chord, you are pobably loud enough! :lol: :lol: Have some fun with that Death Metal stuff...

:?: Where would you classify Slipknot? :?: Kinda poppy sounding in the chrous of Psychosocial. Solid heavy riff though.

Heritage Softail said:
YellowJacket said:
bermuda_ said:
If you have a 4x12 Oversized Mesa cab, how loud do you need to turn the volume of the amp up, in order to get the speakers working properly?

LOOOUUUDDDD!!!!!

I have a two channel Dual and I feel like the amp and cab hits the sweet spot about 1/3 on the volume. I'm not sure what that translates into with a three channel amp but lets just say you need a rock drummer and a bassist to justify hitting those levels. The amp doesn't sound 'bad' lower but it goes from 'kinda good' to 'blows your drawers off amazing' with a small crank of the knob!

I bought a single REC Solo 50 head on the advice of many other musicians... Even through "only" a 2x12, with a measly 50 watt head, it is etremely loud to get into the mojo zone.

Yes, Single Rectos at 50W can overpower other 100w amps (done that). More tone and power for less $$$, that some of the beauty of the SR.

Deathfuckingmetal said:
Yes, Single Rectos at 50W can overpower other 100w amps (done that). More tone and power for less $$$, that some of the beauty of the SR.

The difference in volume from 100w to 50w is half like a lot of people think. Its only a 3db difference.

Have you guys heard that? I was looking for a new amp to buy that could cover the "modern" sound as i love my mark V for the "old school" ones. Lots of options between diezel, engl, bogner..

I really liked the tone on that vid in the recto (much better than the engl, though becarefull you may suffer of eq hangover after you hear the recto again after having heard the engl) The recto i beleive cuts through pretty well and would love to try to mix it with the mark for recording..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU&feature=PlayList&p=914B9C9E56EC7277&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=69

Pretty sure it would cover death metal, but havent heard the 6505

Can you guys tell me how different the dual sounds from the triple though? The triple has more headroom so i guess is tighter on the low end?

Latest posts

Back