Can I put a different reverb tank in my Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
I've got a very nice Fully loaded MKIII blue stripe combo that I love, and would like to see if there is anything I can do to get a more "drippy" fender style reverb. The amp already has the reverb mod (from the factory), but it just doesn't suit my tastes. I am aware that there are transistors and other components at play, but I am wondering what kinds of possibilities can be achieved by swapping out the tank. Any advice?

Here's one place to start:
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com
The tank in a Mark III is a 9AB2A1B.
The numbers refer to input and out impedances, and the numbers need to match for the tank to work in your circuit.
That said, you can experiment with tanks with different spring configurations.
A tank with a "9" as the first number has 3 x 3 short springs connected in three groups of three to get three long springs.
A Twin Reverb traditionally has a four spring tank, so you can get a 4AB2A1B tank and it will be a bit more present and splatty.
The difference won't be huge, but it's noticeable.
If you want massive amounts of drippy, splatty, even slightly overdriven (but adjustable) Fender-style spring reverb, I'd get a Boss FRV-1 and stick it in the loop. It's the closest thing to a stand-alone Fender Reverb Unit you'll find. If that sound doesn't appeal to you, try one of the "modern" gigantic-hall-simulations like the WET reverb or the Ghost Echo.

MrMarkIII said:
Here's one place to start:
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com
The tank in a Mark III is a 9AB2A1B.
The numbers refer to input and out impedances, and the numbers need to match for the tank to work in your circuit.
That said, you can experiment with tanks with different spring configurations.
A tank with a "9" as the first number has 3 x 3 short springs connected in three groups of three to get three long springs.
A Twin Reverb traditionally has a four spring tank, so you can get a 4AB2A1B tank and it will be a bit more present and splatty.
The difference won't be huge, but it's noticeable.
If you want massive amounts of drippy, splatty, even slightly overdriven (but adjustable) Fender-style spring reverb, I'd get a Boss FRV-1 and stick it in the loop. It's the closest thing to a stand-alone Fender Reverb Unit you'll find. If that sound doesn't appeal to you, try one of the "modern" gigantic-hall-simulations like the WET reverb or the Ghost Echo.

+1 on the Wet

But for a tank the type 4 would work but so would a type nine using a longer decay.
Still may not get him what he wants but it could work.
The current (9AB2A1B) is a medium decay.
Maybe try a 9AB3A1B

"DIGIT #4 - DECAY TIME
1 = Short (1.2 to 2.0 sec)
2 = Medium (1.75 to 3.0 sec)
3 = Long (2.75 to 4.0 sec)

I just bought a TC Hall of Fame Reverb for my very early Mark lll , no EQ , no reverb in unit . It has several choices and has a feature where you can download other artists reverbs into it . I am pleased with it and recommend it . I have a studio 22 that went to MISC in Boston and they put the wrong reverb in it after they asked me if I wanted them to 'fix' the reverb as they were doing other repairs . It ended up going to Petaluma for correcting what they screwed up . The reverb in the 22 is huge and doesn't go up more than 2 on the dial before it's too much .

jimmyplant said:
I just bought a TC Hall of Fame Reverb for my very early Mark lll , no EQ , no reverb in unit . It has several choices and has a feature where you can download other artists reverbs into it . I am pleased with it and recommend it . I have a studio 22 that went to MISC in Boston and they put the wrong reverb in it after they asked me if I wanted them to 'fix' the reverb as they were doing other repairs . It ended up going to Petaluma for correcting what they screwed up . The reverb in the 22 is huge and doesn't go up more than 2 on the dial before it's too much .
Was also looking at the Hall of Fame. Do you run yours in the loop?

Latest posts

Back