Can a Roadster do Guns N Roses?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With EL34s you can get fairly close. The roadster is voiced a bit different than a JCM800. So no you won't sound exactly like Slash, but you can get a ballpark tone.

Small favor.

Can any of you Recto owners record a clip of a Guns N Roses song with 6L6?

I am not even going to start on this one...

Here's a little advice though. If you want to sound like a particular artist:

1. Learn their material.

2. Play the same gear.

In the amps forum I spelled out the AFD amp. Otherwise, any Jubilee is your amp for Slash.

With the amp alone I can get in the ballpark of GnR, certainly not playing on the field though, more like half way down from the nose-bleed seats ;)

With a cheap EQ pedal, an OD9 and a wah pedal I can get close enough that only a musician or an anal retentive tone freak could tell the difference.

Russ said:
2. Play the same gear.

This is of course true, but somewhat silly as you'd have to spend countless thousands of dollars to aquire the setup of your favorite guitarist. Then you'd have to figure out how they had everything set, and so forth. Not to mention you'd have to be playing at their volumes... Good luck in your basement.

Yea... thats kinda what I meant by ballpark. To the trained ear it isn't going to be GnR. To the general public... they won't know the difference.

And yes I do realize that a recto sounds NOTHING like a Marshall!

I can honetlsy say I've never been all that huge on Slash's tone, but I've always loved playing their songs. To my ears a recto + GnR sounds pretty **** good :)

Obviously if ya dont have the exact same set up its impossible to nail the tone exactly. However; in my opinion close is fine if you cop the feel and attitude. With EL-34s in Raw mode might get you close or Tweed mode with a Marshall Govnor pedal. After all I saw Slash playing at the Rock-N-Roll Jimi Hendrix Hall Of Fame performance doing Hey Joe with a Les Paul! The Roadster is a Recto though the Stilletto would definately get you closer. GNR tone on Appetite is incomparible. In rock music in the last 20 years nobodys touched it. Definately the right band at the right time. In the bands I've played in and play in we can never find a good Axl. :lol: So i've never really played any of their material in a band setting except rockin out to the rhythm of Welcome to the Jungle and You Could Be Mine but thats with the Ace :lol:

Talus said:
With the amp alone I can get in the ballpark of GnR, certainly not playing on the field though, more like half way down from the nose-bleed seats ;)

With a cheap EQ pedal, an OD9 and a wah pedal I can get close enough that only a musician or an anal retentive tone freak could tell the difference.

Russ said:
2. Play the same gear.

This is of course true, but somewhat silly as you'd have to spend countless thousands of dollars to aquire the setup of your favorite guitarist. Then you'd have to figure out how they had everything set, and so forth. Not to mention you'd have to be playing at their volumes... Good luck in your basement.

This is fine if you are ok with approximation. If you need to nail it get the right gear. If you need to crank something in your basement or apartment use an iso cab and a mixer then you can have any volume you want. If your budget is limited then get an approximation. Personally I don't have a basement. I live in a house with great acoustics. It is nice to be able crank stuff at home when necessary. I have a couple other bands that practice in my neighborhood so no one really seems to mind when music comes blaring out of our houses provided everyone stays respectful about the hours.

If you learn to play the songs well enough and get the phrasing down then you should be able to get VERY close.

Remember that it IS in the playing.

Rocky said:
If you learn to play the songs well enough and get the phrasing down then you should be able to get VERY close.

Remember that it IS in the playing.

So you're saying I could sound like Slash on my Fender Twin? :D

It's actually a very good point though. After I bought my Roadster my dad came by to give it a try, with the same settings, and the same guitar it still sounded completely different than when I played.

But anyway, so far I haven't really found a style of music I can't do with the Roadster... Well getting a decent clean and dry Jazz sound was actually a bit of a pain, but other than that!

I agree with talus. I use a roadster 1-12 combo and I play mostly heavier rock and even some velvet revolver. It may not be "slash's tone" but it sounds **** good! Hell, I don't even play a les paul. I've never heard any complaints!

Latest posts

Back