Calling all 2ch Dual rec users!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fwdftw

Reaction score
Just picked this up yesterday... kinda havin a hard time dialing it in.. any suggestions.. goin for like a killswitch engage.. deftones.. you know new metal rock thanks guys!! also throw me your amp settings on the back as well!? what tubes go better in these 6l6s vs el's Thanks again!

I dialed some decent Deftones keeping the eq section around noon, boosting presense slightly say 1 o'clock, Volume 11-1 and gain at 1.

I used El34's and a TS808 outfront to tighten things up. Sadly I sold her, but take heart she found a good home.

what style el34s did you use. mesa? i been thinkin bout pickin up a set.. just to see.. i know stephen uses marshalls so OO and primarly they use el's :) hah.. its a rec .. Swapin out tubes aint NOTHIN!! hah thx man

I used GT EL34 LS. They had a heavier bottom end for an EL34. So I could go from Tool to Metallica prety well. I also like GT because of the availability and not having to wait or worry about stuff being damaged during shipping.

You do realize that 2 of the 3 artist you mentioned I know for sure used Marshalls for their sound? Not sure what KSE uses. The first two Metallica albums were 1959 100w modded SLP and the Deftones have used Marshall.

yea i know for a fact the tones use marshall and tool uses marshall/diezel vh4 what you use to get that tool tone on the ole mesa?

what kills me on the marshalls is No clean tone.. hah

The EL34 LS is actually the JJ EL34L, GT buys them from JJ and rebrands them so if you want to get a better price on them goto eurotubes and just order a retube kit or even single I think they are cheaper then the GT's.

clutch71 said:
I used GT EL34 LS. They had a heavier bottom end for an EL34. So I could go from Tool to Metallica prety well. I also like GT because of the availability and not having to wait or worry about stuff being damaged during shipping.

You do realize that 2 of the 3 artist you mentioned I know for sure used Marshalls for their sound? Not sure what KSE uses. The first two Metallica albums were 1959 100w modded SLP and the Deftones have used Marshall.

I depends on what tool albums you are talking about, originally he used the Marshall with a rectifier, he only later switched over to the VH4. Personaly I like the rect alot better then the VH4.

Fwdftw said:
yea i know for a fact the tones use marshall and tool uses marshall/diezel vh4 what you use to get that tool tone on the ole mesa?

what kills me on the marshalls is No clean tone.. hah

For those tones, definitely go EL-34s....a Recto is not tight enough with 6L6s for those tones. :wink:

yea thats what im thinkin.. all my amps have had els.. I shall be swappin.. any choices? JJs? Mesa? NOS?

clutch71 said:

KSE rocks Mesa Roadsters now.

I saw them a week ago and both adam d and joel were using mesa roadster 2x12 combos w/ an added 2x12 cab. Fairly sure they both run maxon od808's in front.

They've used a variety of amps in the studio and live, but their current live tone was the best i've heard from them

rly.. will the OD up front tighten everythin up? im weary on using pedals.. i dunno why.. bc they suck tone most of the time. im in for ANY INPUT you guys have!

just curious.. what are these things worth in pristine shape. not a break in the tolex etc etc

Fwdftw said:
rly.. will the OD up front tighten everythin up? im weary on using pedals.. i dunno why.. bc they suck tone most of the time. im in for ANY INPUT you guys have!

just curious.. what are these things worth in pristine shape. not a break in the tolex etc etc

Will water run off a ducks butt? True OD's, not distortion pedals, do not suck tone. It's like the Blond, Brunette or Red Head argument. You'll get 10 different opinions.

The fav's on this board seem to be the Maxon 808, TS808 Reissue (my personal favorite) The Fulltone OCD (problems at high volume IME), ZakK Wylde OD from MXR (my least fav BTW) TS-9DX (good for the money if you like to get close to the 808 and the TS-9)

I disagree about EL34's in a Recto. I've tried them before and really dislike them. I find the amp overly tight and then some with 6L6's and an OD up front. I also use the Maxon OD808 in front. Tried countless pedals and it's my fav. Don't know about the other bands, but a 2 channel Recto sporting 6L6's and a Maxon OD808 in front will easily nail the KSE tone.

ic. ic .... what exactly will the 808 do up front on top of the gain heavy amp.. im not used to pedals to be real honest i just go strait throu the amp.. ive tried the BBE screamer.. True bypass still sucked my tone up..

Try one out. A lot of stores have 30 day no questions asked return policy. I've bought $2600 dollars worth of gear (new and used) in less than a month and returned almost a $1000 of it. 2 Flangers, 10 band MXR EQ, MXR Phase 90, and a 2x12 Marshall Cab.

Think of it this way. Harley Davidsons are great motorcycles. When you hear one go by that's loud and proud, your like Yup, that's a Harley. Remember that tone was modified by adjusting the Carbs, Air Intake, and Exhaust. Similar thing by adding a good OD. Just MY .02.

You don't have to leave it on all the time either, you can always use it for a lead tone edge.

thats a good anolagy.. exactly why i bought it.. heard great things about mesa.. now im just trying to dial it in. had a 50 watt JCM900 but i needed a clean channel and a gain channel so i scored this 2 ch dual rec.. anyway i can date it also?

Thanks a ton yall for helping!

To date your amp the serial number is one way that will give you a general idea.

R00822 was (I believe) 11/92. R-010413 was 03/98.

The best way is to pull the chasis from the headshell (be mindfull of not touching the caps) and look at the hand printed date and initials of the tech that signed off on the amp when it was complete.

Here's a picture of my old 2 channel. You can see the date on the left side bottom. MB 3/98 Mike Bernadelli March 98 completion date.
dualrec004.jpg

Note: If it's like R0006. It's about to explode. Tell me where you live and I'll come get it for you.

clutch71 said:
To date your amp the serial number is one way that will give you a general idea.

R00822 was (I believe) 11/92. R-010413 was 03/98.

The best way is to pull the chasis from the headshell (be mindfull of not touching the caps) and look at the hand printed date and initials of the tech that signed off on the amp when it was complete.

Here's a picture of my old 2 channel. You can see the date on the left side bottom. MB 3/98 Mike Bernadelli March 98 completion date.
dualrec004.jpg

Note: If it's like R0006. It's about to explode. Tell me where you live and I'll come get it for you.

So will I!!!

Pretty much any recto tone you hear on recordings, or even live, is a recto with a boost in front. The reason for this is a recto is pure pre-amp distortion, however to get the tubes to really distort hard you need very high output slamming them. I have heard some people with EMG 81's say they do not need the booster because they are so hot, but I have never played an EMG guitar into a recto.

First lets define a good OD Pedal, it will usually have 3 controls. The 3 controls can be labeled different things, depending on the company. I will give you a rough idea of how they are labeled

Tone=Adjusts the tone of the signal. I usually try to match it exactly or give it a little more bite by slightly putting it up.

Level/Balance =Adjusts the input signal level, think of this as an amplifier, takes the signal and makes it louder/stronger. I usually keep this maxed as I love how hard it slams the tubes.

distortion/Overdrive= Usually adds more distortion, depending on the amp is how i adjust it. For my Rec's I keep this all the way down. For my Marshall JCM800's I usually use two OD's, one with it all the way down, second with it all the way up, just gives me to different levels of Gain/distortion, for super light distortion I keep both OD'S off, for medium distortion I put on the OD with the distortion all the way down, for more distortion I turn off the first OD and put on the second with the distortion all the way up. You have to remember the JCM800 does not have that much gain/distortion so you need OD's to boost these, however they will never get into the recto territory.

So you are asking why do I need a pedal with an amp that has so much gain. Well that is simple to answer, with a mesa as you put the gain higher it gets more compressed, which is great if you want that wall of sound, but it is all mushy and your notes are not clear. However with a pedal in front you can get just as much distortion, however the amp stays clearer and not to mention it gives you a lot better harmonics and make it easier to solo.

Here is how I set up a Rec's, I take an OD pedal, such as TS-9 by ibanez, I set the level to max, tone where I desire and keep the distortion all the way down. On the amp you keep the gain around 2 o'clock, treble, bass around noon and presence and mid around 11.

Now another secret with the REC, is it sounds better with the loop removed, this is no problem for me since I don't really use pedals that go in the loop anyway, my OD and my wah are up front, I only use chorus on the clean channel so it is fine up front as well. Sometimes I will use a delay, however I just live with it up front as well, but I hardly ever use the delay.

Fwdftw said:
ic. ic .... what exactly will the 808 do up front on top of the gain heavy amp.. im not used to pedals to be real honest i just go strait throu the amp.. ive tried the BBE screamer.. True bypass still sucked my tone up..

Latest posts

Back