Caliber Mod to avoid DYNA-WATT tech

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogynite

Reaction score
Do you know a mod to change Dyna-Watt technology in Pure Class A
I have a studio caliber 22w 2x el84, and i would like to transform it in Class A amp

I'm not an amp tech but I would think the whole power section would have to be changed, same with output transformer.

If you are looking for the "EL84 chime" consider EL84 driven Lunch Pail amps.

What do you don't like about Studio? I have a Studio 22+ and yes, I agree the Dyna-Watt give the amp more power, more headroom but loses the EL84 chime. I also find the gain a bit noisy when turning it up for some chunka, chunka metal sound (hint: Mini-Recto) and switching between channel, I never could get the loudness right between the two channel to my liking. So I thought about sell it.

But then I thought, "What about making it a dedicated low wattage moderate gain amp, Mark II(B) like-gain?"

So I changed the V1, V2 with a 5751, and 12AYA (yes, very low gain) preamp tubes. Not only did I get a moderate gain, but the switching between the two channels was more useable!

So perhaps give that a try if you are looking for moderate gain.

Is Studio 22+ Dyna-watt ?
I thought it was class A

I'm playing a lot of metal, and blues
I want to keep my gain, but i think the dyna-watt technology has no compression

Yes, my Studio .22+ has Dyna-watt technology.

I think any amp tech will tell you that convert the Dyna-watt to Class A is major work and difficult on the PC board. Studio type amp I think has the power stage tube sockets mounting onto the PC board. Because it does not generate a lot of heat compared to other type of power stage tubes, this design is fine.

Note the Mini-Recto has Dyna-watt technology yet does have switch to 15 watts so perhaps some kind of modification of this type may work. Not sure how involve it would be.

RR,
to get the loudness right between the two channels, there is a simple mod which consists in adding a volume pot at the back of the chassis. If you do some search here in the forum, you will find some details about it.

Regards

Thanks igfraso, yes I'm aware of this mod but I'm thinking of selling my Studio .22+. Its a nice amp and all but I got a Vox Night Train and this does the clean to moderate gain the way I like it. Compliment that with a Mini-Recto in the future I pretty much cover all the low power amp palette. :D

Back