Caliber.22+ adjustable bias?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mason

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to add a bias pot to a caliber.22+.The wiring seems a bit more complicated than in my other Boogies, since it seems to change also the bias of the phase inverter.So any help is much appreciated.
Mason

I don't recommend doing this unless you are a very competent amp tech.
The use of 6BQ5 tubes mounted to the circuit board increases the difficulty level over any amp using a chassis mounted tubes socket.

I converted my Studio .22 and it sounds amazing. But if I had to do it over, I would just mess around with a few sets of Groove Tubes and call it a day.

stomper said:
I don't recommend doing this unless you are a very competent amp tech.
The use of 6BQ5 tubes mounted to the circuit board increases the difficulty level over any amp using a chassis mounted tubes socket.

I converted my Studio .22 and it sounds amazing. But if I had to do it over, I would just mess around with a few sets of Groove Tubes and call it a day.
Hi Stomper,thanks for reply.What exactly did you change on your .22?I thought of swapping R111(33K) for a 50K pot, but what to do to keep the 2Volts PI bias after R112?
Thanks for suggestions,
Mason

Hi Mason, Yes that is the resistor to change. You may need to experiment with resistor #272. I believe I used 115K. It has been a long time since I did the mod. I also installed 1 ohm resistors on each power tube to measure bias. I wasn't concerned about the PI voltage at all. I just made the tubes run hotter. When they sounded good to me, I kept that setting. That is why I would just try the extremes of the Groove Tube range and go with them. It is a lot of work, and you are hacking the power tube sockets. Not for the timid.

I also changed the output section coupling caps to .1uf. A necessary mod in my opinion to open up the low end. It allows you to run the preamp bass control a bit lower, thereby taming the mud.

The .22 cal is my favorite amp. It is very pedal friendly also.

Latest posts

Back