Cab suggestion for Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfisher3380

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a Roadster and am loving it! Very versatile beast, just getting to know it. I currently have been playing it through 2 different cabs - an Avatar vintage style 212 with one V30 and one G12H30 and a Splawn 412 with Eminence 2x Manowars and 2x Governers. I prefer the sound through the Avatar as I think the V30 adds the necessary trebly bite to the rather dark-sounding Roadster.

I'm wondering if anyone out there can suggest other cabs to try - particularly Mesa cabs. I previously was using a Recto 412 with a Stiletto Ace (both since sold - I've been on a bit of an amp merry-go-round lately). Would a recto cab sound nice with the Roadster? Perhaps a Roadster or Stiletto cab? Anyone?

I play a very wide variety of music but mostly what is played on the Roadster is 90's alt and more modern rock (think Alice in Chains, System of a Down, Linkin Park...you know, stuff that sounds good on a Rec!)

I play my roadster through two 2x12 rectifier cabinet. And it sounds great!

I had the 2x12 combo which i've played on its own, as well as paired with a roadster 2x12, and with the 2x12 extension only. I had to replace it due to repair issues and ended up getting the head and recto 4x12 cab. Gigged with it the other night and its the best the roadster has ever sounded! I play anything from country to metal with this amp and getting this set-up is the best thing i've ever done! I still use the 2x12 cab at practice, but with the 4x12 its fuller, thicker, and chunkier than ever. I brought three guitars to the gig but loved it so much with the wolfgang that i didn't bother changing guitars once!

I also play my roadster through two, 2x12 rectifier cabs, sounds amazing..especially compared to the fender speakers I used to use. I really dig the 2x12 option because it lets you downsize if needed, or run in stereo, also pushing the load down to 4 ohms isn't a bad touch either.

I'm picking my Roadster up soon. What is the best 2x12 cabinet a Rectifier or Roadster cab?

As for the Roadster-Stilletto 2x12s... 3 different guys I've spoken with have ABed them side by side and are unanimous in declaring a distinct difference in low-end response as well as top end clarity. I respect all 3 so I'm going with something is definitely different. I have 2 Roadster 1x12s and love them. I also have a 2x12 Roadster cab with Greenbacks on the way. It's going to be really interesting to hear the Greenbacks in there. I'm planning to acquire a Roadster head this year. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and depending on the volume & style of music played, I highly recommend Roadster Cabs. I think they are the best cabs Mesa builds.

Roadster cab definitely has some differences in tone whne compared to the stiletto cab. The stiletto cab is super tight with a very laserlike/directional sound dispersion. The roadster is tight in its own way (tighter than a recto, looser than a stiletto) and has a very broad/open sound dispersion. The cab fits the amp very well, especially for cleans.

BTW, as much i like mine i'm looking to move to a 4x12 cab so if anyone is interested in a 2x12 Roadster cab in minty condition let me know.

i am running my roadster though a 2x12 recto.

and love it.

I think I wrote a thread about the differences to my ears for the roadster vs recto cab.

Hey,

I would strongly reccomend you go to Mills cabs and give Dave Mills a call. It took my Mesa tone to another level that the standard cabs cannot achieve.

Dave has good relations with the guys at Mesa, and builds his amps with a MESA as one of the test amps.

His cabs appear to be overbuilt, but they are the best cabs I have ever played through. You can actually use your bass control.

He also was recently awarded a premiere guitar best of 2008 award, and has lowered his pricing as he is only factory direct.

Definitely check this guy out. I own the 4x12 afterburner, and 2x12. I'll eventually get the classic 4x12! :twisted:

interesting.... i was pretty much set on a VHT deliverance cab but maybe i need to give the Mills a thought, especially since the new factory prices are a little more reasonable.

jdurso said:
interesting.... i was pretty much set on a VHT deliverance cab but maybe i need to give the Mills a thought, especially since the new factory prices are a little more reasonable.

Yeah, I liked the VHT fat bottom cabs that were front loading, but I prefer these guys way more.

How does a Mills 2x12 Cabinet stack up against a Roadster or Recto 2x12? is it subtle or night and day?

Grindjazz said:
How does a Mills 2x12 Cabinet stack up against a Roadster or Recto 2x12? is it subtle or night and day?

For me, it was night and day. I just started smiling when I hit the power chords.

Here is why, the bass is way more powerful and the cabs are way more punchy than the MESA's. The Mesa, actually farts out (technical term) when it goes.

Now I have gone full spectrum, I owned the Mesa Recto Cabs, the 2x12 slant / vertical over sized / open backed / closed back, Koch, Marshalls, Engl regular sized, stone age, and then the Bogner cabs.

I much preferred the Bogner cabs over the Mesa cabs. During this time, the only cab that really impressed me was the VHT, but I still liked my Bogner cabs better.

The moment I tried the Mills acoustics I was sold. I'm a Mesa guy, and his over sized afterburner and 2x12s are paired for the Mesa amps.

Much to everyones dismay, the Mills guitar cabinets are not ported. You would need to call David Mills for more information because that is the extent of what I got here. I just know they sound KILLER!

just to follow up on fixxxer's post, i did a little research because his posts intrigued me.

The afterburner baffle is indeed ported but that is the internal baffle, not the baffle the speakers are attached to. The internal baffle is ported to kill free standing waves and is the secret to the cab getting its 3D type projection. It also helps to contain the lower mid and bass frequencies which is why the cabs handle the rectos so well. We all know the rectos have huge amounts of lower mids and bass which most cabs can't handle and end up sounding farty/woofy/un-musical... i have yet to hear one myself, but clips i've found and reviews i've read really back up the hype that these can handle the low end of any amp.

I found these clips via the mills acoustics site and man the low end chug these cabs have is awesome. I know its a recording and eqs may have been adjusted after the fact, but man some of these clips are just awesome.

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=cab&value=Mills%20Acoustics%20412B

Thus far i've bought into the hype of 3 of the biggest musical purchases i've made (Roadster, Axe-fx and PRS McBraz) and have been rewarded with some of the best tones i've ever created. In the near future i'm going to take the dive on the Mills cab and i have no doubts this will rank among the best purchases i've made.... god i hate GAS :evil:

Back