Cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastermind

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm going to buy a Roadster head soon and I want a 2x12 cab to go with it. Should I get the Roadster cab or the Rectifier cab? What are the difference between the two other than the Rectifier being a bit bigger?

And also do you think I will like the roadster if play mostly metal? think Metallica, Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage.

Thanks

Mastermind said:
Hi guys, I'm going to buy a Roadster head soon and I want a 2x12 cab to go with it. Should I get the Roadster cab or the Rectifier cab? What are the difference between the two other than the Rectifier being a bit bigger?

And also do you think I will like the roadster if play mostly metal? think Metallica, Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage.

Thanks

1) Roadster can do anything including the bands you mentioned... especially when you add an OD in front of it for the extra chug.

2) As for cabs for the type of music you mentioned I would look into a Mills Acoustics 2x12... they are the best pair for a Recto head that I've ever heard/owned. If you're looking new especially the Mills is in the same range $$$ wise as the mesa cabs. If you're looking used then I'd say either a mesa Recto 2x12 or a VHT Fat Bottom 2x12. Both work great for what you wnat to do.

Thanks I'll check it out. And yeah I was planning on buying a Maxon od808 too and I already have a MXR 10-band EQ so I think I'll be able to get the tones I want out of the roadster.

I use a Roadster with a Mesa 2x12 3/4 open back cab and it totally rocks. I also use a Mesa 1x12 open back Cab for recording, again, excellent results. However, I demoed the Roadster on a Rectifier cab and it sounded awesome also, so give them all a shot.

If you have some carpentry skills, you can build a Thiele 2 x 12 and load it with v30s. I put a v30 and a greenback in my homebrew thiele and I love it. The best part is that my rig is now completely customized to my situation!

There are plans and basic instructions in this thread here. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13747

I used the plans in there for a 1 x 12 and modified them to build a 2 x 12. Basically, I built two 1 x 12s in the same cab with a dummy wall in between. I also documented the entire build process over in this other thread here http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37817 so you can see how we put it together step by step. Here are the plans we used. http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL806%20Builders%20Plans.pdf In my build project thread, you can even see the extras like how we used weather stripping to seal the back panel and how we mounted the grille cloth.

Wood: I'd suggest a high quality 11 ply birch. It is a heavy wood that lends itself well to being used for a speaker box. It sounds really huge and warm. My one biggest suggestion is to make sure that you are using a 3/4 inch ply since the slightly wider maple we used for the frame set the measurements off ever so slightly. The Thiele design has a super warm clean and the the bass response for gain is huge and thumpy. The cab simply sounds bigger than it is!

I ordered my hardware at BLTsound, I got my grille cloth from Mojotone, and the speakers from Avatarspeakers.com. I put a Celestion v30 (Hellatone 60L) and a G12m Heritage Greenback in my cab. For you, I'd suggest just a couple of Hellatones. (Basically, they are v30s that area already broken in) What you can do is phone up their scratch dent section and score some marvelous deals of barely used but perfectly working speakers at cost.

Latest posts

Back