Cab for Road King - whatcha got?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
Hey RK owners - what do you use for cabs? I've been thinking about an RK with a large 1x12 or 2x12, but the only Mesa cabs that really fit it are the RK cabs, and I'm not really a v30 fan - how does the 2x12 sound anyway? Does each side sound like a little 1x12 (bleah) or do they work together somehow even when you only use oneside? Seems strange to me that the RK combo (too heavy!) uses C90's but the cabs are both.

All opinions welcome...

fredster

I'm pretty sure the Stiletto and Recto cabs are identical, they just changed the name from recto to stiletto recently for shits and giggles.

The Stiletto cab is what Mesa used to call the "Traditional" Recto 4X12. The current Recto cab is what Mesa used to call the "Standard" Recto Oversized 4X12, and is larger than the Stiletto (traditional) 4X12. The Stiletto is said to be tighter and more focused in the low end, where the Recto 4X12 is bigger and looser in the lows.

I believe both are V30 speakers.

Dom

I'm using a 2x12" RK Cab. I'm only using the closed back V30 side. Primarily because I like to keep my stage volume lower and must use a hotplate. If I had two hotplates I would be using the C90 for my cleans and the V30 for my distortion channels.

Thanks guys - looks like most use 4x12...

parsky1 - How does using the one side compare to a single small 1x12? If I got a RK 2x12 I'd probably use the C90 side, I'm wondering if that would sound any different than a compact 1x12.

rabies - 'zat the GFlex? Care to compare the GFlex speaker to a v30?

The cab is actually chambered. So each speaker is separted from the other. So I would say it should be close to a 1x12", but I've never played through a 1x12" so I wouldn't know.

Back