Cab for LSS HEad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twally

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just ordered a LSS HEad and am wondering what can of cab's you folks are using. I am thinking about getting a 3/4 back 1/12 cab. l am also considering a 4/10. I don't really have the chance to A/B these so I appreciate any comments. Any other recommendations are welcome. The head is the 27 (about 27" in length) and I play Country, Southern Rock and some Blues. My guitar is an AD Tele.

Thanks,

TW

I guess it would be easier to demo a vox cab with blues in it, so if you have a chance give the glues or gold Alnicos a test. Right now i (before i build or order my 2x12 cab) i am using an alnico blue in an LSS combo. EVEN though for now i keep it at mostly at 5 watts, the alnico speaker is sweet choice for this amp...for sure :wink:

Granted all i tried was original C90 and a Vintage30 the blues blow them away, for this amp especially. You will get a gainier sound and still incredibly chimey and almost never even need to kick in drive cahnnal just channel two with no drive 3/4 gain gets you kind of like ZZTop LeGrange (no pedals) and the cleans are good too. So you can figure 2 golds will give you 60 watts and make a nice cab.

I use a THD 2x12 with my LSC head - can't recommend it enough. 2 THD speakers made by eminence, 1 modelled on a Celestion V30, the other on a Lead80 I beleive. Tuned back, not too bassy, but tight focused and articulate. I love it! :D

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_212speaker.html

edit: And it only weights 45lbs - result!

Travis said:
I guess it would be easier to demo a vox cab with blues in it, so if you have a chance give the glues or gold Alnicos a test. Right now i (before i build or order my 2x12 cab) i am using an alnico blue in an LSS combo. EVEN though for now i keep it at mostly at 5 watts, the alnico speaker is sweet choice for this amp...for sure :wink:

Granted all i tried was original C90 and a Vintage30 the blues blow them away, for this amp especially. You will get a gainier sound and still incredibly chimey and almost never even need to kick in drive cahnnal just channel two with no drive 3/4 gain gets you kind of like ZZTop LeGrange (no pedals) and the cleans are good too. So you can figure 2 golds will give you 60 watts and make a nice cab.

Two golds would give 100 watts right? Although it's really a moot point I suppose. The LSS is only a 30W amp, so even 60 is plenty.

I gotta try some of these options, though I'm not displeased with the C90s at this point.

simonich said:
Two golds would give 100 watts right? Although it's really a moot point I suppose. The LSS is only a 30W amp, so even 60 is plenty.

I gotta try some of these options, though I'm not displeased with the C90s at this point.

Your right about two golds being 100W, i thought something was not right when i typed that...he he.

Ok, the C90 is fine but to design a cabinet i would at least try an alnico magnet speaker, maybe even the Eminence or another U.S made speaker and of course U.K made Celestion. So to stick with Celestion and 2x12 what do you think of 2 15 watt blues or one 15w blue and one 50w gold. I think even 2 15w blues is asking alot from the speakers. At 5watt mode i can push the one 15w blue pretty easily. The LSS most likely needs 60watt minimum and i think a C90 is more than 60, dont remember.

Here is a pic of the blue in an LSS. I can just break the speaker in a bit because a blown speaker wont do too much good he he.

Dont mind the dark area around Mesa logo, that is from Photoshop.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6940/mesabacksmwi2.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7982/mesafrontcentersmbc0.jpg

Sorry for the long post twally but just loooking for ideas. Maybe call Mesa and see what they say about cab with a blue and gold or blue and blue for LSS and how much :p

I had the LSS head version for a while and liked the matching
1x12 external cab a bit, it was open back

I now have the combo version, in hardwood and have tried
quite a few speakers in it

I too like the Blues/Gold over the C90

Didn't like the soft bottom end of a Celestion Blue
with the soft bottom end of an LSS in 5 watt mode

much better with Gold

a popular combo on Country is a Blue, and a Weber Silver Bell
the Silver Bell adds the Bass, the Blue the adds the chime, great mix

but I would not go 2 Celestion Blues in an LSS

about to try a Gold and a C90 in an LSC, just been lazy

But I prefer this amp with a larger open back cab
once hooked up that little boxey rectifier cab with
a V30, a C90 and even tried the Blue in it....yuk
larger open back for me

cheers

Thanks for all of your replies,

I haven't had the opportunity to call Mesa and talk to them. The 3/4 back has good reviews on Harmony Central, but so does the THD 2/12. I really can't handle anything more than 50 lbs- I'm an old fart. But, I do want good tone.

Thanks,

TW

My new LSS HEad came in and I really do love the thing. I am playing it through a 1/12 compact and a 1/12 Thiele cabinet but I want a cabinet to match its girth (it's a 27 Head). I will try and call Mesa next week.

TW

Not sure if you've seen this link
but the Mesa Lonestar cab comes in 1x12 and 2x12 in 27 inch format

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/LONESTARcabs/LoneStarGuitarCabs06.htm

So how is the LSS working for Country? Got enough clean headroom? I've heard different reports about that topic.

There is a Lone Star 27", 1;12 cab on page 49 of the catalog. 42 pounds.

Best of luck.

Not sure this amp is known for it's clean headroom

and btw, the 2x12 is 49 pounds

I built myself a little 1x12 and put a Tone Tubby Alnico in there. The Mix of that and the stock speaker is really nice. My next project will be a 2/12 alnico/ceramic mix. Here's some pics of my shotty work :)

unfinished-front.jpg

unfinished-back.jpg

Well,
I sent an email to Mesa loast night and they recommended a 4/10 for this amp. I am pretty sure that is what I am getting ready to purchase.

I had a Fender Super Reverb a million years ago with 4;10's. It is a great combination. Nice and punchy.

I'm gigging a Blue Angel 1;12 combo, doing classic rock, blues, motown, and country and it sits on top of a flight case and I couldn't be more happy. Put the amp in the case, set my moniter on top, and it rolls out to the truck.

The LSS 1;12 combo will also fit this flight case and I've considered getting one for a backup (the Blue Angel is has been discontinued) but have heard many different reports that it doesn't have much headroom.

Still curious how yours is working out.

Best of luck.

Well, I just blew a rectifier tube, but the amp still works on the 30 watt setting. I like the narly clean sound versus the now clean sound. THe crunch channel sounds about the same. Anyway, I am playing the thing through a compact 1/12 cabinet until I can figure out which cabinet to get-either a 2/12 or 4/10. I have talked to Mesa and they suggest a 4/10 and all the reviews I have read about the 4/10 are very positive. I haven't gigged with the amp yet so the juy's still out. I love the thing so far. If there was a fault, I wish the amp would be a little brighter-I am hoping the 4/10 will take care of that and I am still messing with the EQ..

Thanks,

TW

Well, I called Mesa and a new tube is coming. While I was at it, I ordered a 4/10 in Vanilla with Tan grill to match the head.

Life is soooooo goooood now,

TW

Latest posts

Back