Cab comparison!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a new cab and was obviously thinking about Mesa, but I see a lot of guys that use Mesa use Marshall cabs. I've also heard that Marshall cabs sound warmer and better. Now, I know that it is just a matter of opinion and of course I'm going to go and listen to other cabs and make a decision myself, but I just wanted to know all of your opinions and what you think is a better cab and why. Thanks guys and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all about the speakers, and what type of music you play!

I'm a celestion guy. I dont mind the 75 watt speaker in the marshall 1960's, but the cabs are a crappy build.(for what they cost) for a few hundred more the mesa cabs are built WAY better.

I use celestion 65 watt front mounted speakers, for a metal or hard rock tone, and 25 watt green backs for super smooth cleans in a 2x12 Avatar!

Take your amp to GC or any guitar store and try out some different speakers. I think you;ll be amazed at all the different tones.

BUT you really cant wrong with mesa, GOOD LUCK!

I think a lot of guys running Mesa heads on Marshall cabs are doing so because they could only afford the head! When I was running my DC10 through a 1960a with gt-75s, the cleans were top notch, but the distortions just could not cut thorugh the live mix and it was frustrating.

fdesalvo said:
I think a lot of guys running Mesa heads on Marshall cabs are doing so because they could only afford the head! When I was running my DC10 through a 1960a with gt-75s, the cleans were top notch, but the distortions just could not cut thorugh the live mix and it was frustrating.

+1. I spoke to the guitarist of Finch when they did a small show at a club in my hometown and asked the same question. He told almost verbatim "I just plug into what I have."

Many guys out there are not very picky about their tone and gear. Most dudes don't even know how to set up their own rigs. They just use whatever they find first or whatever looks cool.

Mesa cabs are definitely top notch. You just have to decide if the speakers are your flavor. Also keep in mind there's two sizes of Mesa cabinets.

fdesalvo said:
I think a lot of guys running Mesa heads on Marshall cabs are doing so because they could only afford the head!

I dont know if thats the case. I think if you can spend 1500-2000k on a head you can spend 600 on a 4x12... or at least I would hope. :roll:

I think I have more money in speakers the I do in guitars?!

mrt said:
fdesalvo said:
I think if you can spend 1500-2000k on a head you can spend 600 on a 4x12... or at least I would hope. :roll:

I think I have more money in speakers the I do in guitars?!

Mesa 4x12s are $899....and the cost of the cab may just put the cost of the rig beyond the immediate reach....so it certainly may be the case that guitarist may only be able to afford the head and not the cab at the same time.

Take the Road King head for example, $2599 + tax, then add $899 for the 4x12 cab.......you get the picture?

In the UK Marshall cabs are very cheap compared the mesa - especially used.

Plus I suspect there are a lot of players who'll get a marshall half stack or a rack setup with a marshall stereo cab that move over to a mesa head.

I'm using a marshall cab and it sounds great with my triple rec, but at some point I'll probably move over to a mesa 412

Cheers
John

I definitely need to spend some time looking around for my next amp; I just don't have the time to invest in running around town searching for gear to play. I want to stick with Mesa for sure, but I need to see which flavors, as you say, are right for me. Rock on, guys.

I think any solidly constructed, finger jointed cab made from 3/4 in. (12 or 13 ply) Birch, Mahogany, or Maple, or solid Pine built to the correct dimensions will provide a good home for a decent speaker or set of speakers. I have cabs by Mesa, Marshall and EarCandy Cabs. I have speakers by Celestion, Eminence, Weber, EV, and Altec. I've had the Altecs and EVs for over 30 years.

For personal preference I prefer the build quality of the EarCandy Cabs the most, but, they don't make 4X12s.

For 4X12's I like, in order, Mesa standard depth closed back,(not Recto), and Marshall AVs.

I use a 1960AV now. I bought it last october. I was searching for a second hand mesa cab, preferably a haf back, but they are rare over here.
I found two, but both guys were asking way too much, €800, thats $1177.68!
I had the money, but I wont pay that for a second hand mesa.
(New they are around 1200 euros, thats $1766,52!)

Latest posts

Back